AC is cold but won't blow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonnieBrasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2003 Yukon with about 170K miles on it. No serious problems so far. I've got some issues with the BCM and the car does some wacky things, but I'm pretty sure this issue is separate and apart.

My AC still gets as cold as I want it, but it won't blow. Whether I have it on the lowest fan setting or the highest, it just putters out. Only way I get more air flow is if I have the outside air vent on and am driving 50 or 60 mph, for obvious reasons. Now, I've done some searching and see that it could possibly be the blower motor but it could also be the blower switch or relay or something like that. I do most minor repairs on my car myself so I am fairly handy. If I can't do it, I've got plenty of good ol' redneck friends who are more knowledgeable than I am. My question is, how do I know which one it is, or of it's both, without taking it to a dealer and paying money I don't have to run a diagnostic. Besides, if I do that they're also going to say I need a new O2 sensor, BCM, and a few other things that I can't afford right now.

Also, FWIW, and I don't know if this is related, but I better say it anyway, when I'm running AC and idling, it idles rough. The RPMs constantly go up and down almost like the engine is sputtering. When I'm accelerating it's fine. Don't know if that's related.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. I'm glad I found this forum and look forward to learning more about my Yukon so I can drive it 'til the wheels fall off.

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
If you havent changed your cabin filters, I would changed them out. I changed mine in July and it made my ac blow harder.

OP
OP
DonnieBrasco

DonnieBrasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plan on cleaning the throttle body as soon as I get paid and can buy some cleaner. Yes, I am that broke right now. Don't have a pot to piss in. Yeah, I'm not sure about the cabin filters either. Regardless, I'd bet my life that isn't the problem. It's got to be the blower or the switch.

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
lol...funny about the "not having a pot to piss in" yet not funny at the same time....if its just a "right now" thing I gotcha..but if you are tight on money, these trucks are NOT budget friendly...just gas alone is ridiculous!

OP
OP
DonnieBrasco

DonnieBrasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol...funny about the "not having a pot to piss in" yet not funny at the same time....if its just a "right now" thing I gotcha..but if you are tight on money, these trucks are NOT budget friendly...just gas alone is ridiculous!
You're telling me. I've had this one for probably seven years or so. It's more so a "right now thing." But it's paid for and it's nice not having a car payment. Just finished law school, just started a new job, got a couple hundred thou in student loan debt...just got to get settled.