AC control module part numbers and where to find? 2005 Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drhill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been having multiple problems over the last year with temperature control in my 05 Escalade. I've replaced the front passenger (super fun) actuator and the rear temp control actuator and they did not fix the problem - they sweep from one direction to the other once installed and settle into full heat only. Now the driver side front is starting to randomly switch to full heat. I'm assuming this is more of a control module issue as I've tried several reset procedures listed on here and Cadillac forums and I've tried a few different actuators to make sure I didn't get a bad one from the parts store.

The rear module appears to be mounted on the ac box behind the right rear trim panel. Any suggestions for a replacement part?

I don't know where the module for the front is located - can someone point me in the right direction? Also suggest part numbers or placed to buy one?

Thanks!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't messed with this one enough to give you a good answer, but here are two things for you:

1) Did you do the relearn? I believe there is a process on the blend doors to get them to function properly. Search YouTube and you can get directions there. Actually, search YouTube for the question you have, it is highly likely a video with the information you want is there.

2) Take a look at Rock Auto. It might give you an idea of what to look for, or even where it is in the system.

Good luck in any case! And, when you do get an answer, please come back here and post it for future folks.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your front (and rear, probably) control unit might need an updated calibration, programmed using a Tech 2 or other interface tool, and TIS2000 or the online GM programming. The calibration is the firmware in the controller, and is not the same as the positioning relearn.

Is this the AUTO HVAC control? Pic of said HVAC head?

OP
OP
D

drhill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your front (and rear, probably) control unit might need an updated calibration, programmed using a Tech 2 or other interface tool, and TIS2000 or the online GM programming. The calibration is the firmware in the controller, and is not the same as the positioning relearn.

Is this the AUTO HVAC control? Pic of said HVAC head?
it's the auto ac head unit with the dual zone digital display. the rear is just knobs in the overhead console. Is this something I can try without having to go to the dealer?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any place that can program GM modules can check the current calibration and update if needed. Obviously there would be a fee unless you have a special relationship.

Your rear control has an "AUTO" setting, too, correct? It would probably also need a calibration. Or it might be controlled by the head unit, I'm not sure.

If you're near a forum member with a Tech 2 or other programming functionality, you might get it done for cost, or free. If you don't mind me asking, in what part of the country are you?

OP
OP
D

drhill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any place that can program GM modules can check the current calibration and update if needed. Obviously there would be a fee unless you have a special relationship.

Your rear control has an "AUTO" setting, too, correct? It would probably also need a calibration. Or it might be controlled by the head unit, I'm not sure.

If you're near a forum member with a Tech 2 or other programming functionality, you might get it done for cost, or free. If you don't mind me asking, in what part of the country are you?
Yes, rear control has an auto setting and I have seen the control module box when I;ve had the rear ac area exposed on the truck. I'm in Southern California (Palm Springs area). Doing a quick search it appears Tech 2 or similar diagnostic tools are about 200 to 250? If I can buy one, are they kinda easy to use and are the calibrations readily available? I have 2 of these escalades so it may be worth it.

OP
OP
D

drhill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, rear control has an auto setting and I have seen the control module box when I;ve had the rear ac area exposed on the truck. I'm in Southern California (Palm Springs area). Doing a quick search it appears Tech 2 or similar diagnostic tools are about 200 to 250? If I can buy one, are they kinda easy to use and are the calibrations readily available? I have 2 of these escalades so it may be worth it.
Just throwing this back up to the top - I am a bit lost on exactly how to update the calibration for my HVAC control modules....it appears that not only need a tech 2 but a laptop with specific software on it? Also - is it just easier/better to replace the modules front and rear? thx!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this back up to the top - I am a bit lost on exactly how to update the calibration for my HVAC control modules....it appears that not only need a tech 2 but a laptop with specific software on it? Also - is it just easier/better to replace the modules front and rear? thx!
Familar with HPtuners and the like? Well the Tech 2 is the GM Dealership programmer/bidirectional scanner that actually does the programming. The program updates come from GM's website and have to be downloaded via the net. You have to buy a subsription and it goes by Vin. So you would buy a subscription and it is assigned with rights to the vin of your vehicle. You can have multiple subsriptions for multiple GM vehicles if needed. Its $45 per vin for unlimited programming for 2 years. https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions#
Youtube has tons of videos on what all is involved in hooking up the Tech 2 to your vehicle, downloading update from net, installing update on your PCM, HVAC Module, ABS Module, etc. The Tech 2 is a BEAST! It does everything! It will use your ABS pump to autobleed your brake system(No more pump and hold brake pedal), reset your code on your radio, program every module that is programmable on your vehicle, of course troubleshoot also. Heck you can turn injectors on and off to troubleshoot them!

That Rear AC Module had an update(many years ago) to the whole module itself and yours if original is an entirely different part # now.

OP
OP
D

drhill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Familar with HPtuners and the like? Well the Tech 2 is the GM Dealership programmer/bidirectional scanner that actually does the programming. The program updates come from GM's website and have to be downloaded via the net. You have to buy a subsription and it goes by Vin. So you would buy a subscription and it is assigned with rights to the vin of your vehicle. You can have multiple subsriptions for multiple GM vehicles if needed. Its $45 per vin for unlimited programming for 2 years. https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions#
Youtube has tons of videos on what all is involved in hooking up the Tech 2 to your vehicle, downloading update from net, installing update on your PCM, HVAC Module, ABS Module, etc. The Tech 2 is a BEAST! It does everything! It will use your ABS pump to autobleed your brake system(No more pump and hold brake pedal), reset your code on your radio, program every module that is programmable on your vehicle, of course troubleshoot also. Heck you can turn injectors on and off to troubleshoot them!

That Rear AC Module had an update(many years ago) to the whole module itself and yours if original is an entirely different part # now.
thank you - this pulls it all together for me! I will go buy a tech 2, I tune all my own efi hot rod stuff so I'm no stranger to this kind of thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts