A rusty friend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some light surface rust forming on the outer corner of my drivers side door. I have ordered a can of duplicolor paint. I plan on using a wire wheel to knock all the rust off. What should I spray on to arrest the rust before applying the touchup paint? I want to stop this stuff dead in its tracks, well as best as I can:)

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. From what I know about paint some will reject the primer. I'm not trying to paint a car lol, but I don't want the "fix" to scale off. I'm using duplicolor, I would imagine its pretty hearty?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These guys are on point. The most important point of all the prep at this point is to get rid of the rust. Rust is a cancer that will come back if you leave any of it behind, regardless of how well your topcoat looks. With just a small section being rattle canned, knock that rust down, perhaps gently Ospho it, then for sure use any of those primers as they are good base coats to help inhibit the rust, coat the metal and prep it for top coating.

Be meticulous with your in between stages of prep, sand, clean, wipe to get rid of any contamination and mask off and protect surrounding areas. The top coat and clear coat are just the money. Remember drive for show, putt for dough. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YETI the Yukon