A/C Oil - How Much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daytony

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is for a 1996 Chevy Tahoe 5.7L with front A/C only

Long story short I hit a dear and required a rad & condenser change, every A/C line was stuck so I had to cut everything out from the truck and replace with all NEW - Evaporator core, Accumulator/Dryer, All lines and orfice tube.

The condenser was a very nice USED one from the salvage yard and my compressor is the original one that still worked fine before the deer incident.

My question is with the new parts I replaced and with some of my original parts how much oil should I be putting back into the A/C System?

The bad part (I think) is that I already put my new parts in with new seals and o-rings in and everything is tightend up, Do I have to break the connection to each part to add the oil?

I have a 8oz bottle of PAG 150 sitting here and not sure how to tackle this.

Last edited:

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new compressor probably already has oil in it. Mine did. I drained it out, the put 4oz. back in, then poured about 3 oz. in the drier as I was installing it.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Refrigerant Oil REFRIGERANT OIL DISTRIBUTION
The Harrison HT-6 compressor system used on all models requires polyalkaline glycol (PAG) refrigerant oil in the quantities listed below:

• Without Aux. A/C - 240 ml (8 fl oz)
  • With Aux. A/C - 330 ml (11 fl oz)
New oil quantities must be added to the system during component replacement and conditions stated as follows:

• With no signs of excessive oil leakage, add:

1. All Compressors (drain and measure the oil)

• If less than 30 ml (1 fl oz) is drained-add 60 ml (2 fl oz) to the new compressor.
    • If more than 30 ml (1 fl oz) is drained-add same amount that was drained to the new compressor.

1. Accumulator-Add 105 ml (3.5 fl oz) of new oil to the replacement accumulator to compensate for oil retained by original accumulator desiccant and bag assemblies. The accumulator should only be replaced if leaking due to a perforation, damaged O-ring seal seat, or damaged threads.
  2. Evaporator-Add 90 ml (3 fl oz) of new refrigerant oil.
  3. Condenser-Add 30 ml (1 fl oz) of new refrigerant oil.
REFRIGERANT OIL LOSS DUE TO A LARGE LEAK
If the refrigerant charge is abruptly lost due to a large refrigerant leak, approximately 90 ml (3 fl oz) of refrigerant oil will be carried out of the system suspended in the refrigerant. Any failure that caused a abrupt refrigerant discharge will experience this oil loss. Failures that allow the refrigerant to seep or bleed off over time do not experience this oil loss.
Upon replacement of a component that caused a large refrigerant leak, add 90 ml (3 fl oz) of new polyalkaline glycol (PAG) refrigerant oil plus the desired amount of oil for the particular component.

OP
OP
D

Daytony

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am still using my old compressor which worked fine and using a used condenser, the rest is all new. lines, dryer, evap, orfice tube all made by delphi. The compressor is also delphi unit but was on there when I got the truck.

Can add the needed oil right to the compressor or do I need to break the connection between each component to add the oil?

My problem is I know the system is completley dry except for the compressor. I dont know how much oil I have in there now, do I need to pull it off and dump out and measure and put back that amount?

And I know this truck uses 3 cans of R134A but the cans I have contain 1oz of oil per can.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
add about 3 oz. preferably just down stream of the high side of compressor so it has time to break up before it hits the pump again. I would like to say condenser inlet if possible.

OP
OP
D

Daytony

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Will the 3oz between the 3 R134A cans I have be enough? each one contains 1oz of oil. I bought the high mileage R134A stuff since I am using the compressor thats on my truck, (I dont know how old or how long its been on there)

And which one is the the condenser inlet? top or bottom?

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
that was in addition to the oil in cans because you said your system dry so I am assuming dry of oil too. plus account for compressor too. I am sure you would be safe with that. condenser inlet is top tube at condenser.

OP
OP
D

Daytony

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
getting oil in the top condenser tube should be fun lol. Might try putting oil in the inlet hose before the tube? Thanks again guys for all the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6

Latest posts