A/C Issue/OBS experts help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997 Silverado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1997 K1500 that I am having ductwork problem with. The AC blows cold but after running about thirty minutes while driving the cabin stops blowing through the vents. You can hear the motor louder but very little air flow. I can turn the fan off for about two minutes and then it blows just fine for about another thirty minutes. Anyone got any idea as to why or how to fix this without replacing all the ductwork?? I have replaced the arms at motors on the end of the ductwork but not sure what to do next???

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were the arms at the motors broken and disconnected? I had a similar issue as you on my '97 Yukon. It ended up being a broken Blend Door Actuator. I would test run the A/C, and choose different settings, Floor, Mid, etc, and have a look at what your actuator is doing. When mine broke, A/C would only blow at the floor. I tie wrapped the door to blow at the mid vents, until my actuator arrived.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1997 K1500 that I am having ductwork problem with. The AC blows cold but after running about thirty minutes while driving the cabin stops blowing through the vents. You can hear the motor louder but very little air flow. I can turn the fan off for about two minutes and then it blows just fine for about another thirty minutes. Anyone got any idea as to why or how to fix this without replacing all the ductwork?? I have replaced the arms at motors on the end of the ductwork but not sure what to do next???
Sounds like you either have a HVAC controller going bad or the blend door actuator is bad.

The actuator is a fairly inexpensive item and what I’d try first. In the mean time, you can reach under and unplug the harness to the actuator when it is blowing cold air.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evaporator may be freezing up (check refrigerant charge) and blocking air flow. As it melts, air returns. My 98 used to do that…I think it would start leaking condensate onto the floor when it froze up.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When the problem happens, does the air flow that you do feel, still feel cold? I would bet it is an actuator.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16900724024317301892237101306423.jpgHi there guys
I am in the process of taking the reaer leaf springs out.
Am going to get them re tempered and a leaf added to beef up load stability as I carry a bit of weight time to time.

My question is and i probably know the answer.
Do I need to drop the tank to move this bolt back to get the leaf out?
Thanks for any help.
Tony

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16900729613732147527069400168442.jpgThe U Bolts look in good condition so I am just giving them a wire brush and soaking them for a minute before
un torking everything before I jack her up.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New bolts and nuts. Cut the old off and reverse the bolt direction going back together.
ahh
Really?
They are in good condition.
Okay. So loosen it all off and get a cut wheel up the inside and cut the bolt closest to the head and it should drop down the gap between housing and frame?
Thanks @OR VietVet
Appreciate your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401