A/C Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy an '08 Yukon, 38K. Checked it out the other night and upon getting in, I started pressing buttons, when I hit the defrost button I heard a loud pop coming from the drivers side, low on the engine. Never could get it to replicate and decided maybe it wasn't what I thought it was. Then I took it into my mechanic Saturday, while I was waiting for him to show up, I was playing with the autostart (showing the salesman how to use it, no less), as soon as it started it made the pop again. So, I told my guy, he starts tinkering and pressing buttons only to discover there is no power to the A/C compressor when defrost is engaged. The dealer swears this is because the computer can tell it's too cold to require a/c, my guy (and myself) swear that the a/c compressor needs to be engaged to draw humidity off the window, who's right?

I'm about 99% positive we are and the dealer is a moron. Simply because I've already caught them in two lies, the first being he didn't hear the pop noise the first or the second time and the second lie being they spent $300 having it detailed (outside it's cherry, inside it's FILTHY). At this point I'm super disappointed, I was hedging all my bets on this one and to find out that it may already have over a grand in work to be done, sucks.

Of course they swore they'd have their tech check it out (this was Saturday) and get back to me. However, a few hours after I had it at the shop, it was back on the lot, front and center on the corner...I told them to get it fixed, have it detailed and call me. Pending those two things, it was a done deal. Now I'm a little hesitant due to what else they might be lying about. I realize I'm a girl and doing this on my own, they probably pegged me as a sucker, but I'm not. I'm going to call them back today and see what the deal is, if it is a bad compressor, I was thinking of either paying on the price we agreed on (which I think is pretty good $24,500) as long as they fix it or asking them to sell it as is, for a grand less and having it done myself, thoughts?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the issue with them "fixing" it is it's never really fully fixed. I can almost guarantee it'll probably be a recurring issue. Why not just find one that has zero issues for the same price? It's just not worth buying a car you already know has problems. And yea the dealer probably thinks he's got a leg up on you cause your a female :/ but it sounds like you know what you are talking about!

OP
OP
Peaches

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I've had a/c issues before, on a previous truck and it was never really fixed. The problem is, there isn't any that are in my price range, probably because it's such a popular car, especially in white. Aside from Automax, I haven't been able to find any in my price, color, millage range at all. This is probably a sign that I just need to keep looking, the shiny newness is definitely tarnished at this point, as is my trust in the dealer.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Now that I'm researching it, I'm finding reports that if the temp is below 40f the compressor won't kick on...maybe there isn't anything wrong with it.

Sometimes it's really great knowing 3 mechanics, but it really gives me a headache, because they never agree on anything, at any time.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
no dealer is right. Depending on the temp, if the air is too cold outside the ac will not engauge and flash 3 times. Its in the owners manual. I was going to take mine in until i found it in the owners manual

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Even if they do replace the compressor, you are right, it won't be completely fixed. A proper a/c job entrails the compressor, drier, accumulator, produce tube, system flush, and fresh Pag oil. I agree with the keep looking around part. Go with your gut and stick to your instincts. You'll find that you're usually right. Hit up all the websites, Cars.com, Vehix.com, Yahoo Autos, etc. You'll find something. I did. I bought my 07 Tahoe for $23,500 10 months ago. There is something better out there for your price.

Btw, your avatar made me think of the red solo cup song.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Peaches

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if they do replace the compressor, you are right, it won't be completely fixed. A proper a/c job entrails the compressor, drier, accumulator, produce tube, system flush, and fresh Pag oil. I agree with the keep looking around part. Go with your gut and stick to your instincts. You'll find that you're usually right. Hit up all the websites, Cars.com, Vehix.com, Yahoo Autos, etc. You'll find something. I did. I bought my 07 Tahoe for $23,500 10 months ago. There is something better out there for your price.

Btw, your avatar made me think of the red solo cup song.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Yeah, but I was drinking out of red cups way before it was popular. ;)

I'm still keeping my eyes open, they're supposed to call me tomorrow and discuss it, we'll see what happens with that. I've also decided to keep my current truck, so worst case scenario, I drive it. At least I know about all her godawful existing "quirks." If it does turn out to be a bad compressor I won't get it.

]

no dealer is right. Depending on the temp, if the air is too cold outside the ac will not engauge and flash 3 times. Its in the owners manual. I was going to take mine in until i found it in the owners manual

Ok, here's my second question, would this also not have any power running to it? As in we used the test light and it didn't register a current.

mattah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you at? You said automax so I would assume TX....killeen ?

Im sure you can find a better deal, just takes time.

OP
OP
Peaches

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you at? You said automax so I would assume TX....killeen ?

Im sure you can find a better deal, just takes time.

Not in Texas, but close. No, it's coming from a smaller dealership, not Automax. I had my Grandpa check it over and he swears it's fine, that the computer is not turning it on due to the outside temp being low (under 40). I'm tempted to run it by ANOTHER mechanic, but at this point, I'm afraid he's going to find something else. It's great knowing people who know about cars, but the unfortunate thing is, they never agree on what the problem is or even if it's a problem.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Yeah, but I was drinking out of red cups way before it was popular. ;)

I'm still keeping my eyes open, they're supposed to call me tomorrow and discuss it, we'll see what happens with that. I've also decided to keep my current truck, so worst case scenario, I drive it. At least I know about all her godawful existing "quirks." If it does turn out to be a bad compressor I won't get it.

]

Ok, here's my second question, would this also not have any power running to it? As in we used the test light and it didn't register a current.

yes. since it electronically controlled there would be no power. Ive read somewhere though if you hold the ac button and recirc button, it should activate.

OP
OP
Peaches

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was really warm yesterday, so I went down to look at it again. All the controls worked fine. I pressed every button is could, I had ac and defrost going without any issues. I dunno. My mechanic isn't a dealer, so my other guy swears that because he's out of the loop, he doesn't know certain things, such as the computer not activating due to outside temps. Actually blows great and super cold, aside from it being detailed, it's good I think. I'll probably move forward with it this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick