A/C compressor turing on when snowflake not illuminated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crispychris9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe LT and the A/C compressor is turing on when snowflake is not illuminated, I do not have the defrost or anything on just feet by itself and I believe it also does it even if it is just on the face. Furthermore, this also happens when the heater is on just curious as to why it does come on, as to my understanding it should only run when the snowflake or defroster is being used. Thanks!!

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically your ac compressor clutch is engaging when you turn your blower on? Or does it automatically engage as soon as you turn the ignition on? Anymore details that you can share would be great.

OP
OP
C

crispychris9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So basically your ac compressor clutch is engaging when you turn your blower on? Or does it automatically engage as soon as you turn the ignition on? Anymore details that you can share would be great.
Yes the compressor engages whenever the blower is on, whether the snowflake or defrost is on or not. And I am not too sure if it engages when the ignition is on... How could I tell? Thanks again for your help!!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually it is probably better the compressor is on..Your compressor will last a very long time.Since forever I have never shut off the a/c system in any vehicle..Have never replaced a compressor and never needed [so far knock on wood] any major a/c work.

In my neck of the woods with summer 12 months a year with jungle humidity the bulk of the time I just set it and forget it.

In the northeast when I am there in the cold I move the setting to the floor and upper vents [I believe it is called the BI-LEVEL position and the Hoe stays nice and comfy plus keeps the windows from fogging up.

Just IMHO..To each their own.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A
Actually it is probably better the compressor is on..Your compressor will last a very long time.Since forever I have never shut off the a/c system in any vehicle..Have never replaced a compressor and never needed [so far knock on wood] any major a/c work.

In my neck of the woods with summer 12 months a year with jungle humidity the bulk of the time I just set it and forget it.

In the northeast when I am there in the cold I move the setting to the floor and upper vents [I believe it is called the BI-LEVEL position and the Hoe stays nice and comfy plus keeps the windows from fogging up.

Just IMHO..To each their own.
As long as there is no leak and the system keeps its oil AND the refridgerant to move it then absolutely!

OP
OP
C

crispychris9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay then, thanks everyone for your replies. Yeah I'm sure that everything is fine with the system because it does blow hot when I need heat and cold when I need the a/c, but was just curious as to why it does that. Anyways, I will just not worry about it :)

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay then, thanks everyone for your replies. Yeah I'm sure that everything is fine with the system because it does blow hot when I need heat and cold when I need the a/c, but was just curious as to why it does that. Anyways, I will just not worry about it :)

My understanding is that they did this to help keep the parts that need lubrication, lubed.
It also helps keep the HVAC system blowing drier air, I understand. Handy for defogging windows.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor runs under these conditions:
1:Snowflake height on for cooling (turned on by user).
2: defrost mode to dry the air for more efficient defrosting.
3: Recirculation mode tr dry the air. Recirculated air contains moisture from breathing etc.

Those are the only times I know of that the AC compressor runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cateyeburb