A/C blows, no air out vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texast224

Reaction score
Okay, having this issue sporadically, only happens after I've been on the road for a while and of course happens in the summer and not the winter....

95 Tahoe - A/C blows cold and blows well. Then after about 30 to 45 minutes the airflow out of the vents starts to wane, to a point where the cold air is barely coming out the vent. The motor is blowing full blast, just no air out of the vents.

Then if I turn it off for awhile and turn it back on, back to normal and the process starts over.

Obviously could be an actuator, but wondering if maybe the vent door is sticking and needs lube??

Anyone else have this issue? And which actuator should I check first?

Thanks

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved this to an appropriate section , as for your issue , are you sure that the air is not just being redirected? if thats the case it may be a bad door .I know mine currently has a issue where no matter what selection I'm on some air will always flow out of the defroster

OP
OP
T

Texast224

Reaction score
I moved this to an appropriate section , as for your issue , are you sure that the air is not just being redirected? if thats the case it may be a bad door .I know mine currently has a issue where no matter what selection I'm on some air will always flow out of the defroster

Thanks for moving.

I've checked all the other vent and nothing. Same deal, cold air just dribbling out, barely any air, although more air out of main vent, just not much.

Sometimes after I turn off AC, 5 seconds later I hear a loud "clunk" as if a stuck door or something falls back into place it or the actuator engages, ten it will blow normal again. Other time no noise and I have to wait 20 minutes after turning off before it blows normal again. Sometimes can't get it to blow normal until the next day.

Tha M&A for the tips

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The clunk you hear is it on the inside? I ask because generally that is the sound of the AC compressor Kicking on and cycling . the fact that it is intermittent has me puzzled . Ive never had AC that works one minute and doesn't the next.

I can bet that it is safe to say that your actual AC system is fine and the problem either lies in a Vent door (as you stated ) or a problem in the blower motor . Im leaning more towards the blower because even though you state you can still hear it turning but a change in the air flow leads me to believe that (and Im not sure) maybe there is a Clutch in the blower that is failing. Hopefully someone can chime in and make me look like an idiot . But I hope I can shed some light on the issue . :gr_grin:

OP
OP
T

Texast224

Reaction score
The clunk you hear is it on the inside? I ask because generally that is the sound of the AC compressor Kicking on and cycling . the fact that it is intermittent has me puzzled . Ive never had AC that works one minute and doesn't the next.

I can bet that it is safe to say that your actual AC system is fine and the problem either lies in a Vent door (as you stated ) or a problem in the blower motor . Im leaning more towards the blower because even though you state you can still hear it turning but a change in the air flow leads me to believe that (and Im not sure) maybe there is a Clutch in the blower that is failing. Hopefully someone can chime in and make me look like an idiot . But I hope I can shed some light on the issue . :gr_grin:

The clunk noise is in the dash, must be a door or actuator. When I hear it, it is after I turn AC on, motor is going full blast, not getting anything g through the vents, hear the clunk, and then I get air flow though the vents. Almost like a stuck door gives way.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Could be a bad bearing or connection on the blower...
I used to have to kick/tap/whack my blower to get it to work from time to time. Replaced the blower motor and no more issue with air flow.

OP
OP
T

Texast224

Reaction score
Could be a bad bearing or connection on the blower...
I used to have to kick/tap/whack my blower to get it to work from time to time. Replaced the blower motor and no more issue with air flow.

Okay, thanks for the tip. That almost sounds like what I've got going on, seem to recall popping the dash once really hard an I heard the clunk and got it work.

How big of a job is that to replace? Guess I should google a schematic.

Never replaced one

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Nothing terrible at all... simple hand tools (screwdriver) is required.
If you don't have a manual to follow (or even if you do), youtube videos are available to walk you through the process.

OP
OP
T

Texast224

Reaction score
Nothing terrible at all... simple hand tools (screwdriver) is required.
If you don't have a manual to follow (or even if you do), youtube videos are available to walk you through the process.

Great thanks. You get your new blower motor at Oreillys or anything - or much cheaper to find a used one?

Wonder if used ones from a yard are reliable or just better to get new somewhere.

Thanks again. Love this forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse