Remote Start Doesn't Start Air Flow Out of Vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is by design, but I'd assume when it's cold outside and I use remote start, it would try to warm the vehicle prior to my getting in? It seems that the heated seats and steering wheel enable when it's cold, but no air flows out of the vents. Is that working correctly?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is by design, but I'd assume when it's cold outside and I use remote start, it would try to warm the vehicle prior to my getting in? It seems that the heated seats and steering wheel enable when it's cold, but no air flows out of the vents. Is that working correctly?
on my 18 I have a box to check to enable auto-defrost and heat seats, maybe there is another setting somewhere? not real familiar with the latest gen as of yet.
should tell you in the owners manual or point you in the right direction anyway
I know as soon as I put the key in the automatic defrost stops and switches to whatever I normally have the hvac system set for and if I want the seats to continue to heat I have to press the button.

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 18 I have a box to check to enable auto-defrost and heat seats, maybe there is another setting somewhere? not real familiar with the latest gen as of yet.
should tell you in the owners manual or point you in the right direction anyway
I know as soon as I put the key in the automatic defrost stops and switches to whatever I normally have the hvac system set for and if I want the seats to continue to heat I have to press the button.
Thanks. Yeah I looked at the manual but it's hard to tell. It says: Remote Start Climate Control Operation : If Equipped: When the vehicle is started remotely, the climate control system, rear window defog— and if equipped, heated or ventilated seats or a heated steering wheel— may run based on climate conditions" which seems to indicate that the climate control system will in fact come on which seems like I'd be feeling air blowing out of the vents if it did.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah I looked at the manual but it's hard to tell. It says: Remote Start Climate Control Operation : If Equipped: When the vehicle is started remotely, the climate control system, rear window defog— and if equipped, heated or ventilated seats or a heated steering wheel— may run based on climate conditions" which seems to indicate that the climate control system will in fact come on which seems like I'd be feeling air blowing out of the vents if it did.
that is what it does, but only when in auto-start mode, no key in the ignition or in your case no fob perhaps.
while it is in autostart you should be able to unlock the door and get inside it and have a good blast of air going to the front window, the seat will be getting warmed on low setting only and there will be no light indicating anything. As soon as you insert the key or push the start button all of that stops and returns to whatever you have the hvac set for when you shut it off last.
so if you have the push to start, auto start it remotely, then unlock the door and leave the fob somewhere else and go check the above functions noted
I do not have push to start but I would imagine that you still have to press the brake pedal and hit the start button to exit autostart?.

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, with the fob if I auto-start the vehicle, I have to get in and press the brake and then the start button to start it and exit auto-start. In my case, the vehicle seems to enable the heated steering wheel, heated driver seat and windshield defog but no air coming out of the forward facing vents which was what was odd to me.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it determines that it needs to turn 9n your heated seats and steering wheel, it is assuming that the front windshield may be covered in frost\ice and directs the airflow there. Once you start it inside the vehicle. The airflow will be redirected to the last known position you had it set when you shut it down.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, with the fob if I auto-start the vehicle, I have to get in and press the brake and then the start button to start it and exit auto-start. In my case, the vehicle seems to enable the heated steering wheel, heated driver seat and windshield defog but no air coming out of the forward facing vents which was what was odd to me.
It will not turn on the heater, only defrost, that doesn't really matter though because the heater doesn't do anything anyway until the engine warms up the coolant.
when you start it the heater then works exactly where you left it last. off/floor/forward/auto, etc, etc

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long between remote start and getting in the vehicle are you noticing no airflow out of the vents? This time of the year it's trying to heat the cabin, so the fan speed will be low until the heater core gets up to a temperature that will start putting heat in the cabin. If you wait 10-15min after remote start, you should have decent heat blowing from the vents. If you get in just a couple minutes after remote start, you won't notice any air flow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts