A/C Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a tensioner for the ac pulley on a 2007 tahoe? I was going to do this on my tahoe this weekend, but if theres no tensioner, I'm going to need to have a shop install it, as I don't have the tool.

‘07 should have a tensioner
If you’re changing the belt, do yourself a favor and pull the tensioner pulley, use a pick or the edge of a razor blade to pop the seal off, dab some grease in there and snap the seal back in place.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed new AC belt on may 2010 Denali. The installation tool/guide did not fit between the main pulley and engine; would not make it all the way around. I was able to install the belt without the tool though and it wasn't too bad and did not seem to damage the belt. Just put the belt in place, on the compressor pulley, off the main pulley and rotate the engine with a socket wrench.

Same freaking thing with the '10 Tahoe!! At least not the parts house rental units! The 'remover' tool that came in the rental kit worked great ,but not the installer tool. These are the plastic tools that are kind of an orangy-red color. The installer tool catches on what I think is the crank sensor. Luckily the sensor is in a metal housing that's bolted to the block, or I'd be enjoying that R&R, too!!

I had my bride hold a large flat-blade screwdriver against the block, and push on the belt near the A/C pulley, making sure the belt was tilted downward toward the block, and not the other way. I, then, turned the crank bolt until the belt popped into place. I did have to roll the belt back and forth a couple of times to get it to sit squarely on the pulleys, but got it done.

What a sh*tty idea! I guess since it's a 60K mile replacement, GM doesn't give a crap since it won't be covered on their 36K mile warranty. Did I mention what a sh*tty idea it was? Hell, my '12 Caprice 9C1 still has the idler!!

And I was joking with the parts house counter folks that 'remember when they told you to NOT use a screw driver to install a belt? Well, I guess they do now!' That was, indeed, how I got it replaced. :flame:

Last edited:

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
‘07 should have a tensioner
If you’re changing the belt, do yourself a favor and pull the tensioner pulley, use a pick or the edge of a razor blade to pop the seal off, dab some grease in there and snap the seal back in place.

+1 on this! I'd also just get one and have it available when you do the job, unless you have a ride to the parts house when the tensioner breaks when twisting it to relieve the tension on the belt. I learned that lesson working on our 95 Caprice 9C1.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Is this install / removal a/c belt a thing 6.2 owners have to endured too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t looked at my ‘13 XL Denali yet, but Rockauto has belts that say you need and install tools listed for the 6.2 so I’m guessing they went that way across the board. My ‘07 & ‘08 XL Denali had a tensioner still but my ‘09 Suburban had the stretch to fit belt.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the tool you want right here (lisle 59370), it is magnetic and sticks to the pulley, removal is REALLY easy, flip the tool and install is a little tricky because you have to place the belt and tool in just the right position or it will hit on a metal protrusion around the crank pulley, but overall easy and a handy tool

lisle.JPG

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Lisle tool. Easy job once you know how to do it. I also like not having to worry about yet another tensioner bearing going bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts