99 Yukon losing oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99YukonSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to go change the oil, was down 3qts again. It's not burning it as far as I can tell, no puddles in the driveway, not sure where it's going. Just turned 176k over the weekend so it's getting up there.

Just looking for some input/suggestions on where to start looking for potential problems with this thing. I'm almost considering a top end rebuild just b/c of the age and mileage. I work at a dealership so doing the work wouldn't be a problem.

Just occurred to me, it was down on coolant as well with no apparent leaks. Headgaskets? Hasn't over heated yet or at all.

Last edited:

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if you aren't leaking it, and you're down 3 quarts, I would say you are burning it. How long between oil changes?

OP
OP
99YukonSLT

99YukonSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, turns out it wasn't oil, lol. Wasn't catching it fast enough after it had leaked but after crawling underneath and cleaning everything off it's one or both of the power steering lines. Checked the reservoir and it was almost empty.

It does use some oil, about 1-2 quarts between changes.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats normal , a little over a Quart of oil I burn every cycle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia