99 Tahoe Leaking Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinp2459

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to the Tahoe forum, been following awhile and now I actually have an issue and any input is appreciated.

I recently got my Hoe looked at and they said I was leaking oil from the front main seal and the rear main seal. We changed out the oil filter, and cleaned the pvc and switched to a heavier oil. The leak is really minimal and sometimes when I stop or drive it doesn't leak at all. I love the Tahoe and want to get it fixed but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg. They quoted me something ridiculously high...I realize its a few hours, but what do you think a fair price is to do both? Thanks for any thoughts, tryin to fix this badboy up to prior glory.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the transmission has to be backed out to replace a one-peice rear man seal. For the front as long as it is not the timing change cover that is leaking you can get replacement seals from the dealer at about $15. There are two different ones available. Outer diameter is different on each. Did they describe in further what needs to be done to get to them? The new rear seal will be the most expensive part of the job. How many hrs are they billing you for the whole job. ensure the oil you run is within the specs in the owners manual.

OP
OP
justinp2459

justinp2459

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Sunlit, I have to get the paper work back from them and my vehicle this week. I'm not having them do the work, they did the diagnostics and changed the oil and filter. they were quoting for well over 10 hours of work. Apparently I have no other leaks except two spots rear seal and front seal is what he said.

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sunlit, I have to get the paper work back from them and my vehicle this week. I'm not having them do the work, they did the diagnostics and changed the oil and filter. they were quoting for well over 10 hours of work. Apparently I have no other leaks except two spots rear seal and front seal is what he said.

How much dollars are we talkin? I think mine has the same issue. I have oil coming from the front around the harmonic balancer and from the back right where the tranny meets the block. I'm hoping it's not that big of an issue until I can get her back to the states in august so I can get it fixed. I'm hoping to see what kind of dough I could be dropping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the front seal done on mine. As Sunlit said, the front can depend on where the leak is. Mine was the easier one and the shop charged me $190 including parts. I can't speak to the rear seal.

Good luck.

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How serious is it if the seals are leaking? I mean, obviously it's not good but I have to hold out a few more months till I get her back to the states to get work done. Nobody will do that kind of work over here in Japan....I don't drive fast or crazy with her; the fastest we are allowed to go over here is 60kph which turns out to be around 45 mph.....

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to know I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Friendy