99 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Looking good! Seems like you pretty much have everything covered, except for the fuel gauge. Hopefully you'll get it figured out. If you don't would it be possible to just run separate wires for it, instead of tearing into the loom? Wiring sux, and wiring problems suck even more! Good luck with that and I'm waiting for you to start that sucker up!

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
well no idea how I missed this but WOW.... I just read the WHOLE thing! great job man! love all the detail u are going in to.

@mtl111 check this out! seems right up your alley

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Looking good! Seems like you pretty much have everything covered, except for the fuel gauge. Hopefully you'll get it figured out. If you don't would it be possible to just run separate wires for it, instead of tearing into the loom? Wiring sux, and wiring problems suck even more! Good luck with that and I'm waiting for you to start that sucker up!

I don't think I can run straight from sender to gauge. I might be able to give it a 5v signal as long as I use an older sending unit that reads resistance. I'm still searching for my solution. A simple D to A converter may be my best choice. It's either that or keep a gas can with me where ever I go. Haha.

well no idea how I missed this but WOW.... I just read the WHOLE thing! great job man! love all the detail u are going in to.

@mtl111 check this out! seems right up your alley

Thanks. I hope all this will be worth the effort. She ran decent before the intake swap so she should run better not being lean.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Didn't do much of anything Monday. Came home from work and fell asleep downloading video. Yesterday I worked on getting the fuel rails tightened down. At first I just took some 3/4" rigid pipe clamps and tried holding the rails down just to check for leaks at rails. It just pissed fuel past the injector o-rings. The rails were cocked on the injectors and not completely striaght so I had to remove them once again and came up with a plan to remedy this.

I took some 1"X1/8" flat stock and 3/8" rod. Cut 2 pieces of the 3/8" rod to 11".

image.jpeg

Then cut 4 pieces of the flat stock to 1-1/4" and drilled a 1/4" hole in it and welded it to the rod.

image.jpeg

That will bolt to the fuel rail. Next I test fit the rails to make them straight and measured for the rod to mounting holes tabs. With the bracket mounted to the rail on the inside, it was really close to the mounting holes on intake. So close that it was actually contacting the mounting hole base and not allowing the rail to lean in toward center enough to get injectors straight so I had to relocate the bracket to the outside of the rail and make tab for mounting hole on intake go over the top of the rail. Pictures are worth a thousand words and this will all make sense when you see it mounted. But anyway, here's what the mounting bracket ended up looking like when finished. Blasting and painting tonight and pics will show it mounted 2mrw.

image.jpeg

Definitely not my finest hour but they are fuel rails, shouldn't need much to keep them in place and leak free. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Thinking about converting to E85. Excuse me for a minute while I kinda think out loud here.

E85 is 104-105 octane and therefore it´s more knock-resistent and can tolerate more boost or a higher CR. It cools the intake charge better and therefore makes it more knock-resistent and it also makes the engine run cooler and to some degree, even safer. In most cases it's at least 5% more effícient than gasoline at the same lambda value (up to 25% more efficient on some cars optimized soley for E85). Since E85 has very good cleaning properties as well as leaving behind a by-product of water, it is cleaning the fuel system and it will keep the injectors nice and clean. The combustion chambers, valves, ports and the exhaust will also be cleaner, almost like the car had water injection. In most cases it will cost less $/mile to run on E85.

The down side of E85 is moisture and is a little harder to start in cold weather. It also requires about 42% more fuel to reach stoichiometric, or ideal air fuel ratio.

The good thing is the O2 sensor doesn't care what fuel its running. It doesn't even know. It will make adjustments to run a 14.7:1 AFR, or Lambda 1. E85 is 9.765 stoich, or Lambda 1. So your O2 just looks for Lambda, not AFR. So my wideband would read 9.76 at stoichiometric.

I started thinking about this after talking to a guy at work that is thinking about buying a '66 389 engine for his '65 GTO. It was an original 389 tripower with a 4 speed and currently has a 400 4 barrel 4 speed. We were discussing the 389 that has 670 heads and isn't converted for unleaded fuel. The 670 heads combined with 10.5:1 CR is not pump gas friendly even if he changed the seats in the heads for unleaded fuel. He was thinking just adding additives to the fuel instead of doing head work and running 100 octane. I told him he could change valve seats and also do guides and valves with new seals and run E85 for the 104 octane which got me thinking about doing this to my engine.

For right now I'm going to stay on course and run what I have to get used to tuning and get the trans and rear diff changed before I go to E85. But I will start collecting parts for it. I don't know for sure that my fuel lines will be good for E85 but I can change them and also put in a dual or bigger fuel pump. Should be able to make changes to fuel and spark mapping and get better safer power with boost. Anyone do this? Besides you guys with flex fuel. You guys have a sensor in fuel line which switches programs in your computer. I'll have a saved tune for gasoline which would allow me to go back and forth between E85 and gas with just a simple load of the tune.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Hose is on and it holds pressure now!! Sweet, glad that's off the list.

image.jpeg

Drivers side rail. You can see the 180* fitting and hose running along side of throttle body mounting plate.

image.jpeg

It loops behind the TB.

image.jpeg

Then over to the passenger side rail.

image.jpeg

Now to add coolant and oil, set up GoPro and get a video attempting to start it.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Minor set back yesterday. Totally forgot I had prior engagements. First had to hang out with my daughter while the warden ran to the school for a spelling bee, then ran to get my ears lowered and then went with a buddy to go look at sidecar for his Ultra Classic. By the time I got home I was hungry and getting tired so I had a few "pops" with buddy and then found something to chew on and hit the bed. At work now until 3pm and then I'll stop and grab some fluids and get this sucker fired up today. This should have happened earlier in the week but poop happens. Video coming later tonight or 2mrw depending on if it will load and not play the games I had last time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9