98' Tahoe front diff (exploded view)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montec313

Reaction score
i have a 98' Tahoe 4x4 with 173,000 miles on it. i had a groaling noise coming from the front drivers side when im in two wheel and when i put it in four wheel it gets even louder. i took out the front diff to see if i need to change the bearings. does anyone have a exploded view diagram they can show me and some pointers to disassemble it. i already have the axels out of it. need to see how it comes apart before i jump into it. thanks

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this overhaul document HERE.

However, I just went through this three weeks ago. I had our shop replace the front driver's wheel bearing. It was growling in 2wd, and got really loud when in 4x4. And funny enough, it didn't change pitch or volume when swerving left or right, so I had thought front u-joint, but nope, It was a wheel bearing. Had an apprentice swap it out, and like magic the noise went away. Don't forget the wheel alignment after putting things back together!

OP
OP
M

montec313

Reaction score
i dont think it is front wheel bearing. it only does it when you are on the gas and soon as you let off it goes away. im gonna go thru the diff anyway just to check it all out. need a diagram for the front diff.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, there appear to be two different types of front dif's for your truck. K2 and K3. I found the K2 HERE, and the K3 HERE.

I don't know what the difference is, but they say; 'Front axle identification is located on tag attached to near axle tube.'

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rapidshare is a file sharing web site. Someone can upload a file for free with four mouse clicks. It's a good place to dump pdf files if your in a hurry, and don't expect alot of traffic, and you don't want to host stuff yourself for various reasons.

Sometimes the files are harmless, like the files that I post up here. But sometimes they are not. D*ckheads can post files on purpose that can harm your computer.

The files that I 'find' at rapidshare and post up here are safe.

Last edited:

Diller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, there appear to be two different types of front dif's for your truck. K2 and K3. I found the K2 HERE, and the K3 HERE.

I don't know what the difference is, but they say; 'Front axle identification is located on tag attached to near axle tube.'

A K2 is a 3/4 ton front axle in a 2500 truck (8600 GVW). A K3 is a 1-ton axle in a 3500 truck.

Unless your truck is HEAVILY modified (and you would know it), you have the K1 (1/2 truck axle) axle.

Diller
'99 Yukon SLT

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A K2 is a 3/4 ton front axle in a 2500 truck (8600 GVW). A K3 is a 1-ton axle in a 3500 truck.

Unless your truck is HEAVILY modified (and you would know it), you have the K1 (1/2 truck axle) axle.

Diller
'99 Yukon SLT

Cool, thanks for the edumecation. Back to the drawing board to see if I can find a K1 axle exploded diagram.

OP
OP
M

montec313

Reaction score
on the two bearing thats on the ring gear do you have to press them on?? the temkin bearings. still have to take them off
thanks for the diagrams btw

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the edumecation. Back to the drawing board to see if I can find a K1 axle exploded diagram.

99yuk I have crude looking part explosion just need the the ring gear size or go to http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/ enter your vin number, use the force and find your path to what you seek. You will get all the info with the exception of the first few digits of the part number. If you want my drawings I can get you part numbers.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Or was it Montec that needed them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts