98 Tahoe 350 is a slug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reloder28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased this vehicle used 2010. It has had the CSPI changed to MPFI. It has been a mechanical nightmare. It does have a 350 but it is not the 350's we used to build for street machines. My 92 GMC had the 350 with TBI. I wish this Tahoe ran like that GMC did.

What kind of PCM and other computer related changes would I have to make to put a quality 350 in with a TBI or better fuel delivery system? I will change the motor if need be. I just want it to go when I push on the accelerator.

I think that part should be called the prod as opposed to accelerator.

Opinions?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Actually your 98 motor is stronger then the tbi. And going carb is a very expensive nightmare. you can get pcm tuned http://blackbearperformance.com/services.asp. They add about-20-25 hp. The scan tune is recommend for your year of suv. Perhaps you can discuss the issues you have had so we can help identify your problem. Have you had a scanner to read and record live data for analysis. It is important to solve any anomalies before it gets tuned. You have any mods done to it?

aj713

Reaction score
Try spraying out the throttle body with the engine running 2500 rpm- use the whole can. Everytime I get another Tahoe and I do this (because they run horrible) it's runs way stronger..

Sent by carrier pigeon

OP
OP
R

reloder28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Actually your 98 motor is stronger then the tbi. And going carb is a very expensive nightmare. you can get pcm tuned http://blackbearperformance.com/services.asp. They add about-20-25 hp. The scan tune is recommend for your year of suv. Perhaps you can discuss the issues you have had so we can help identify your problem. Have you had a scanner to read and record live data for analysis. It is important to solve any anomalies before it gets tuned. You have any mods done to it?

I haven't done anything but spend money on its many repairs and then drive it. No programmers, nothing. I know what 350's are capable of but this one doesn't show it. The SES is currently lit due to an over-rich fuel dump on the right bank which caused the Cat's to light the light, so said the mechanic. I have had major repair bills on this pile since purchase. One cracked head, new MPFI & various other repairs. I want it to run like a 350 should.

Last edited:

aj713

Reaction score
My 97 I had was a slug too, till I cleaned out the throttle body, put on a new cap, rotor, and e3 plugs, a cold air intake, and swapped out the stock muffler for a power stick. It was much better power and fuel wise. Stick sux . But good luck with it just the same.

Sent by carrier pigeon

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I haven't done anything but spend money on its many repairs and then drive it. No programmers, nothing. I know what 350's are capable of but this one doesn't show it. The SES is currently lit due to an over-rich fuel dump on the right bank which caused the Cat's to light the light, so said the mechanic. I have had major repair bills on this pile since purchase. One cracked head, new MPFI & various other repairs. I want it to run like a 350 should.

Then get the exact codes so we can help solve them and getting it runniong properly again while saving you some bucks. An over-rich mixture is not good at all.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay im confused what year is your vehicle because a 2010 yukon tahoe sub doesnt come with a 350 the last vehicle that came with a 350 L-31 motor was the topkick in 2005
do you know wich 350 motor you have
LT-9 L98 L05

OP
OP
R

reloder28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The original post reads "98 Tahoe 350 is a slug". It was purchased in 2010. It is a 98 year model.