96 Tahoe 2 Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

holeshot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The truck has no motor mods, just the air intake. I still have several things that I need to do to finish up the truck.

• Needs gears - 5.13 (currently has 3.73)
• Needs new carpet and seats recovered
• New Tires (want to go with some wide 40's)
• Tune

The overall truck is in great shape mechanically. I have keep up with the maintenance on everything over the years. I have had the front end rebuilt twice in 240,000 miles. I have had to replace one of the cv axles. Truck drives down the road good but the wide tires do wonder a little if the road is grooved.

The gears and tune are next on the list. What do you think the gears and install are going to run me. Does anybody know of a good place in Ft. Worth to have them done? 4 Wheel Parts wanted over $2000 for the job.

Overall, the truck has been solid. It's been lifted with oversize tires for about 13 years and has held up pretty good. Getting the transmission built up with a trans cooler is a must. I will drive it to 300,000 and drop in a new create motor.

Attachments

• DSCN5167.jpg
    DSCN5167.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 41

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I ask. If you plan on going taller, or with bigger tires, why not just invest in a SAS build up? I'm surprised the IFS has held up thus far.

Gears are a must. However, I don't think anyone makes 5.13 gears for either of your differentials. Maybe the SF, but I know for a fact nobody does for the IFS

In other words, I think you need to SFA it ASAP. Very clean looking truck. I'm not a fan of huge lifts, but it's a very cleaning looking truck!

99TanHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck has no motor mods, just the air intake. I still have several things that I need to do to finish up the truck.

• Needs gears - 5.13 (currently has 3.73)
• Needs new carpet and seats recovered
• New Tires (want to go with some wide 40's)
• Tune

The overall truck is in great shape mechanically. I have keep up with the maintenance on everything over the years. I have had the front end rebuilt twice in 240,000 miles. I have had to replace one of the cv axles. Truck drives down the road good but the wide tires do wonder a little if the road is grooved.

The gears and tune are next on the list. What do you think the gears and install are going to run me. Does anybody know of a good place in Ft. Worth to have them done? 4 Wheel Parts wanted over $2000 for the job.

Overall, the truck has been solid. It's been lifted with oversize tires for about 13 years and has held up pretty good. Getting the transmission built up with a trans cooler is a must. I will drive it to 300,000 and drop in a new create motor.

John

I just had 4.56 gears and Duragrip done here in Lake Charles at Hurricane Off-Road. I also had them install a MagHytec rear Diff cover. The complete job was a little less than $3000. The gears and Duragrip alone would have been about $2700. The gear and Duragrip brand were "Yukon".

98 2-DOOR

Reaction score
Speaking of SAS, I have been planning this on paper for a while, and finally starting to source parts. I was initially thinking that the FSJ D44 was the way to go for what my needs were (medium duty, driver side pumpkin, 6 Lug). So I go to pick up the axle and it's approximatly 14" narrower than my front end now with the RCD IFS lift. FSJ (Full Size Jeep - not really FULL size) Bad assumption on my part...So, what does anyone have any suggestions of another axle that would work. I defintily want to stay 6 Lug...too much invested in wheels to swap over.

Can I ask. If you plan on going taller, or with bigger tires, why not just invest in a SAS build up? I'm surprised the IFS has held up thus far.

Gears are a must. However, I don't think anyone makes 5.13 gears for either of your differentials. Maybe the SF, but I know for a fact nobody does for the IFS

In other words, I think you need to SFA it ASAP. Very clean looking truck. I'm not a fan of huge lifts, but it's a very cleaning looking truck!

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of SAS, I have been planning this on paper for a while, and finally starting to source parts. I was initially thinking that the FSJ D44 was the way to go for what my needs were (medium duty, driver side pumpkin, 6 Lug). So I go to pick up the axle and it's approximatly 14" narrower than my front end now with the RCD IFS lift. FSJ (Full Size Jeep - not really FULL size) Bad assumption on my part...So, what does anyone have any suggestions of another axle that would work. I defintily want to stay 6 Lug...too much invested in wheels to swap over.

First off, why do you want to stay 6 lug? I'll assume either wheels or you don't want to swap rear axles yet

In order to stay 6 lug, you are going to either need to convert an axle over, I think I've people swap fullsize dana44's over. A high pinion, dana44 6 lug would be your best option. Don't think anyone really converts dana60's over to 6 lug.

Otherwise, there is always the GM front 10 bolt. 6 lug GM, but it's a passenger drop. You would need a different transfer case of course. If you found a NP241 from a OOBS Blazer or Suburban from I think 1988-1991 they are 241's with VSS (vehicle speed sensor)

OP
OP
H

holeshot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get 10mpg in the city and about 13mpg on the highway. For the way I drive this truck the IFS is fine, the front end has help up pretty good for 240,000 and rebuilding it only twice. But one day I would like to have a SFA under there. The gears and the tune are the next mods that I'm going to do and then the bigger tires. My 38's are about half worn but there is still a lot of tread there.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 29

99TanHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cleon

I don't remember where I saw it but I thought the older Ford front axles could be converted to 6 lug.

xeqshnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know the exact years but there are some Ford dana 44 front axles that will work. The pumkin is in the correct position and you can change the hubs out for Chevy 6 bolt. The only downside is the spring pads are closer together, which can be changed but is kind of a pita. Or so I have been told.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76

Latest posts