95 Tahoe dies... why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jb2286

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a 95 Tahoe 2dr 4x4 and am working on trying to get the thing running right again with my dad's help. The thing was beat to hell by the previous owner who didn't seem to know jack about the truck.

What's been replaced:
Battery (was replaced when I bought the truck because the battery was bad)
Starter
Fuel Pump/filter (tank was cleaned with de-natured alcohol when fuel pump was replaced)

Oil and filter have also been changed since after I bought it (before I bought it I checked the oil and had to add probably 3 courts to get the dipstick to the proper level)

Before we replaced the battery it wouldn't start at all.

Sometimes the Tahoe wouldn't crank with a new battery so we replaced the starter.

Then the Tahoe would crank and crank and sometimes not start.

Now it starts every time, but will sometimes die while cruising around the block and going short distances. Seems to idle just fine and I don't believe it dies if it just sits there idling. (Can't go check because I live in an apartment 2 1/2 hours away from my dad where I'm storing the Tahoe right now)

Any suggestions on what I should check or replace? (Vacuum lines, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor?) I'm trying to get this thing running right since I was forced to sit on it for a while (lack of funding) and I've finally got a job making decent money to actually put into something I'll enjoy. I'm wanting to make my Tahoe reliable and do it for as cheaply as possible.

Thanks for any help!

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely check the vacuum lines, I would replace the plugs and wires, cap and rotor also. Those are basic tune up parts and if they haven't been replaced in a while it's a good time. I would also do the air filter and fuel filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzzer86