95 5.7 Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if your the rest of the ignition is stock switch back to the ac delco plugs and make sure your cap and rotor are correct. A lot of stuff slips by OBDI systems. They were not really designed to identify misfires or their direct cause.

TORONTO 95 GT

Reaction score
Had the same problem that returned after the standard tune up with non delco parts. Replaced all with Delco parts, misfire gone. Also never had the CEL with the misfire and when the TPS went it tripped my CEL randomly but the thing would feel like the trans was slipping when it was on.

Good luck

96Tahoe4x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Timing off, pulsating excelaration....

I read through all of these threads. What I didn't see any mention of was the cap and rotor. They have a history of corroding and gumming up. This causes all of the mechanical failures that were mentioned.

I hope that helps.

FYI...These are GREAT trucks!

I am two days away from installing (front to rear) the High Performance polyurethane (red) bushing kit on mine! :shocked: :hands:

kelly1

Reaction score
I agree on running stock ac delco plugs. I've had lots of tbi trucks and love them but they do lack the diagnostic capability of today's vehicle.

On the timing, make sure you disconnecting the brown with black stripe wire before checking or setting timing. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but timing with the wire disconnected should be a zero I believe. I used to run all of mine at 2 degrees btdc. Got a little extra pep and no real drop in fuel mileage.

good luck.

95BlackTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 95 tahoe did the same thing...hard to start, had a miss occasionally...turned out the timing was 18* off to the negative. I timed it and the miss went away, also helped I'm sure with the new msd wires, coil, cap and rotor...lol. Either way, she runs great now.

Now I have to fix the fuel pump issue. It was a no start yesterday, and the pump wouldn't even prime. My friend reached in in the front of the drivers side rear wheel, and wiggled some wires, and it primed and ran...lol...another project...

Shawn

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not, all 95s need to be lit on fire and pushed it off a cliff ...

TORONTO 95 GT

Reaction score
Hey, thats not fair!!!

I think my 95 runs pretty good for its age and milage all though I swear I could out run it in a 1/4 mile race. It takes forever to get up to speed. I am slowly fixing up things as I go. I have not been driving it since October but getting ready to drive it a bit this summer up north a few times.

19992dr4x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a miss or sputter like feel on my on my 99 tahoe and replaced plugs,wires,cats,cleaned the EGR valve and no fix. So I replaced my fuel pump...no more miss or sputter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667