$79 bucks for an AFM disabler = drive better AND better gas mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I'm hearing is that in the pre 2021 motors the lifters are usually good for 80k miles, then it's a running on borrowed time thing. Just amazes (shocks) me that GM would put such crap in such an otherwise superb engine. This contraption:

afm lifter gm.jpg
This definition really spells it out:
con·trap·tion
/kənˈtrapSH(ə)n/
noun: contraption;
a machine or device that appears strange or unnecessarily complicated, and often badly made or unsafe.

k_arnold72

Reaction score
As soon as I have enough time here on the forum to post, I'm selling my range device. looks brand new.

My engine still blew up. I think in stock form theses engines have a 'grenade timer' and it can't be reset until you pull the AFM kit out of the engine.
Range afm was doing funny stuff to my transmission but I caught it early. Turned out I was using one that was only for 6 speeds. I have a 2018 with 6.2 and 10 speed. Went with a Range Pulsar LT instead and have no complaints about that. Truck took about a week to relearn shift points.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I'm hearing is that in the pre 2021 motors the lifters are usually good for 80k miles, then it's a running on borrowed time thing.
I made it 89K miles with AFM tuned off at 59K. Now running non AFM setup on my 2018 Yukon Denali

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
What I'm hearing is that in the pre 2021 motors the lifters are usually good for 80k miles, then it's a running on borrowed time thing. Just amazes (shocks) me that GM would put such crap in such an otherwise superb engine. This contraption:

View attachment 410373
This definition really spells it out:
con·trap·tion
/kənˈtrapSH(ə)n/
noun: contraption;
a machine or device that appears strange or unnecessarily complicated, and often badly made or unsafe.

This is what that dohickey will do the an engine.
IMG_6215.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n