$79 bucks for an AFM disabler = drive better AND better gas mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went the cheaper route and got the AFM disabler on amazon (not a tune, just plug and play)

Wish I had done it sooner, truck stopped hunting for the right gears/RPM , and my highway mileage went up (?)

This mod plus using E85 has got me enjoying this truck all over again :)

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went the cheaper route and got the AFM disabler on amazon (not a tune, just plug and play)

Wish I had done it sooner, truck stopped hunting for the right gears/RPM , and my highway mileage went up (?)

This mod plus using E85 has got me enjoying this truck all over again :)
Good move buddy.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t the tune do other things that the odb devices don’t? I would recommend changing the vlom with the updated one as well and maybe the lifters. At the very least the vlom.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Permanent V4 disablement is one of the very many things that may (or may not) be included in a proper ecm tune.
(I say 'may not' because years ago, instead of disabling V4 mode, I went the other way and
INCREASED the V4 mode duty cycle on a 2012 Yukon XL. IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE.)
If more people better understood what an ecm tune can do, every single one of those people would've already gotten an ecm AND a tcm tune
(because they'd also better understand what a tcm tune can do).

Shutting off V4 mode:
gives V4 mode lifters much better odds of surviving much longer (for best results replace V4 mode lifters with V8 mode lifters and replace VLOM)
extends the life of the torque converter clutch, which tends to be the chief culprit behind most transmission rebuilds.

captras

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have done alot of research on the AFM disablers. They do work, but not the way they lead you to believe. They actually do not disable the AFM. What they do is prevent the transmission from going into the highest gear, which is the only gear that the AFM can be activated in. You can do this on your own by simply putting your shifter in M5 (for 6 speed) or M7 (for 8 speed). This is what a tech from Range Technology told me when I asked what the device actually did.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done alot of research on the AFM disablers. They do work, but not the way they lead you to believe. They actually do not disable the AFM. What they do is prevent the transmission from going into the highest gear, which is the only gear that the AFM can be activated in. You can do this on your own by simply putting your shifter in M5 (for 6 speed) or M7 (for 8 speed). This is what a tech from Range Technology told me when I asked what the device actually did.
I don’t have one, and I’m not from Missouri, but somebody would have to show me before I’d believe it prevents the transmission from going into high gear.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Someone with a AutoSync module could confirm that the trans never goes into the last gear as well as the overdrive. All they’d have to do is flip the display on the DIC to show what gear the truck is traveling in at highway speeds.

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally not true. I've had a Range disabler for 3 years and my truck is using all 6 gears. On cruise I can average around 23-24 MPG with no V4.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tuned out AFM 30K miles ago and my Avg mpg went from 20.1 to 20.3. Pure hwy is mid 20s with a 6.2L/10 speed.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
As soon as I have enough time here on the forum to post, I'm selling my range device. looks brand new.

My engine still blew up. I think in stock form theses engines have a 'grenade timer' and it can't be reset until you pull the AFM kit out of the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n