6.2 removing/ replace crankshaft w/o engine removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1_8TTony

Reaction score
I think the level of frustration getting the crank out through the bottom would be enough to drive me crazy. Plus, upon reinstallation, you will probably scratch the rod journals on the crank and dent the corners of the bearing shells.....scratch the cylinder bores . How are you gonna get an accurate torque/angle reading on all the rod caps and main caps.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously? Just thinking about doing this is making me sweat.
Not at all possible if you ask me.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's just that bolt you want I'd get a couple of fire extinguishers and an oxy-acetylene torch and throw a lot of heat on the bolt. Also note that using a giant impact on it usually just hammers all the play in the bearings, rods, etc. You want steady torque. Find a way to clamp the harmonic balancer so you can put a strong pull on it after heating. I can't remember what engine from what part of the world but I've seen flats on the balancer for a wrench on something.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you could get the 6th cap bolts out and doing the journal clearancing would be a utter pain! Hind sight it should only take 2-3 hours to yank the engine and life is easy street!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck