6.2 removing/ replace crankshaft w/o engine removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
#1is there a way to get to the crankshaft and remove it without pulling the engine? Possibly pulling the tranny? 6.2l 2007 Cadillac Escalade.#2 do the pistons need removed to replace the crankshaft? The crank pulley got put on either not straight or the bolt cross threaded and even a 600ft.lb impact can't back the bolt out. So now there's no way to get the balancer out or let alone the bolt. Figured I'd just replace the whole crankshaft.. the oil pan is already off the truck. Any help would be great! Thanks

Buzzcut

Reaction score
still have to unbolt the transmission to move it back. If I were to do the job engine would come out. I guess it could be done but it will be the worst time trying to wrestle that heavy crank up into the block.

Bottom line doable but with great difficulty.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose you could unbolt the connecting rod caps through the oil pan opening and slide out the crank if your fans, rad, condensor, etc was all out, but I'd pull the engine and do a proper disassembly if it was mine. Crank is the first thing to go in when you build an engine unfortunately so it's the last to come out.

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
I suppose you could unbolt the connecting rod caps through the oil pan opening and slide out the crank if your fans, rad, condensor, etc was all out, but I'd pull the engine and do a proper disassembly if it was mine. Crank is the first thing to go in when you build an engine unfortunately so it's the last to come out.
I'm assuming that since I'll be working from the bottom that the crankshaft will come right out of the bottom. I shouldn't have to remove the rad and fans. It should just drop down out of the bottom once everything is properly removed. Correct?

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
121026GM00-047.JPG
Sorry if this picture is huge, but I looked up a crank for your truck, or tried to anyway. If the balancer is stuck on you'll have to pull it out through the front. Pretty sure you have to anyway because a crank can't be tilted out through the oil pan hole....hopefully someone else can confirm/deny lol. Also like @Buzzcut said you have to pull the tranny back to remove the flexplate.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you pulling the crank, because of the stuck balancer? I've seen people brace the wrench and use the starter to loosen the bolt. Not that it would work after using a 600 ft. lb. impact, but at this point, it's worth a shot.

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
Yeah idk if I want to tackle this myself or just have it towed to the dealership and see what they can accomplish with it. Maybe they have a better technique or tools to figure out how to get it out. And if it's crossthreaded then maybe save the threads and rethread it for me and put it back on

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
Yeah idk if I want to tackle this myself or just have it towed to the dealership and see what they can accomplish with it. Maybe they have a better technique or tools to figure out how to get it out. And if it's crossthreaded then maybe save the threads and rethread it for me and put it back on
Well if I can't get it out I might just have the dealership deal with it. But I had an idea. If I have the old bolt on right now and it won't back out after I used it to install the balancer back on. I'll just tighten the bolt back up and leave it in. Because obviously it isn't coming out. I guess that's the purpose

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure you could clear the cross member if pulling the crank. And surely putting your rod caps on and lining that stuff up would be almost impossible for 1 man. Unless you are a version of the hulk with tons of finesse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA