6.0 Idle lope with A/C on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
I cannot figure out what could be causing this / how to fix it. The idle lop is pretty bad when the engine is hot and running the AC. I had the alternator die a year ago and changed it out, so I know it's good. Also changed the battery then. My only other thought is to change the battery cables because the negative has quite a bit of battery acid build up on it. But I'm not sure if that would contribute to this.

I know the video doesn't look like it is very bad, but it is SUPER annoying anytime it's hot outside. and It's usually worse thatn shown here.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
PNWMuseumman

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
As a first pass I'd start by cleaning maf, throttle body, iac. Check fuel trims to verify you do/don't have a vacuum leak.

Any codes?
No codes being thrown, Whats the best way to clean the MAF? Can I do the Idle relearn myself if I do the throttle body?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Get some maf cleaner and spray the thing down liberally. Those sensors are quite picky about any residue/deposits/etc on them.

Not sure about the throttle body to be honest. Will let someone else chime in there. I've cleaned maybe a dozen, including disassembling, cleaning, and reassemble+relube the gear box and never had an issue. But it seems like every week someone posts up about some disaster where their truck runs like ass after cleaning it so..... YMMV I guess?

OP
OP
PNWMuseumman

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Get some maf cleaner and spray the thing down liberally. Those sensors are quite picky about any residue/deposits/etc on them.

Not sure about the throttle body to be honest. Will let someone else chime in there. I've cleaned maybe a dozen, including disassembling, cleaning, and reassemble+relube the gear box and never had an issue. But it seems like every week someone posts up about some disaster where their truck runs like ass after cleaning it so..... YMMV I guess?

Hahaha, that's what I'm worried about! I'll give the maf cleaner a shot though! Thanks!

wade_660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I take the intake hose off and open the butterfly on the throttle body. Spray carb cleaner in there and wipe it the best I can with a rag. Let sit for a few minutes and then crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700