5.7L failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will eventually build and upgrade this motor but for now, Ima put her back together so I can move her around at least, drastic move for me may be happening soon, have a good one...

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you mic the journals i think the maximum allowable taper is 0.0004-inch
and out of round is roughly 0.000118-inch and depending how far outside of your tolderances the journals are youll probably tear up those bearings even faster

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time putting it back together with the crank looking like that. if your that broke, try some emery cloth and see if you can get it smooth and shiny. If not, park it until you can fix it right. It will just beat itself apart again.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i concur with livingez_123 and by the look of those old bearings or whats left of them that crank needs to be turned and hopefully the cylinder block walls havent been scratched

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crank is toast, got them journals polished up and bearings installed, cylinder walls are nice and smooth, got her reassembled and it's running again. Unfortunately it has a knock still so it will sit till I save up some dough for the right engine deal, come on 6.0! At least it can drive up on my trailer if I accept the relocation deal at work, thanks all for the great advice, I will holler when the transplant is to occur, good night...

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

oh yeah, the failed motor has 126k, and it had at least a three year dormant period before I "woke" it up :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076