5.7L failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 'nali is not doing well at all...here's what I know:
My buddy needed a truck and trailer to haul his car off home after some drivetrain prob that left him stranded so I let him use mine. A few hours later I get a call, he says the 'nali just stalled on him on his way back and would not start. I meet him to verify the issue and noticed it cranks slowly and the positive battery cable starts to smoke, we tighten it up and try again. This time the truck started up but was knocking pretty badly so I immediately kill it. All fluid levels are ok and my buddy does not recall any overheating or oil pressure loss, he says it just died suddenly. So a couple days later I bring her home and decide to drain the oil to remove the pan and see what has failed. I suspect a bearing has spun and causing all the racket. I fail to remove the pan after all the bolts are off, it seems the front third member must be dropped for the pan to clear and come off, is this the case? The oil that was drained has a lot of metal, looks like dark gray metallic paint, so I am expecting to see major engine damage. I will try to continue the oil pan removal tomorrow evening and see what I find, if it's badly damaged, I'll be looking for a 5.3 or 6.0 to go in its place, but I'm hoping I can repair it with some new bearings if the clearances have not been hurt, fingers crossed, will come back with a damage report maniana, good night...

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Sunlit, does the third need to be dropped for the pan to clear?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
should not have to remove a cross-member at all. remove the braces and finagle the crankshaft back and forth to help get it out. starter, tranny inspection cover and filter adapter should also come out. if a 2wd then the engine mount will have to come loose to be able to raise the engine slightly as well so you can get it out. and use a felpro pre-molded gasket during reassembly. should also include new filter adapter gaskets. this according to the service manual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info sir, it is a 4x4 and the third member looks very close and tight with the pan, I will drop the starter and tranny inspection plate and see if I can get it off...rain has interrupted this task :party52:

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

well hell, guess the front diff assy. must come off, dammit...

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it has that kind of metal in the pan and is making a bunch of noises, I doubt it will be an easy fix. at the least, you might have to have the crank polished or even turned. ounce the bearing starts to spin and knock, I think the engine will have to come out anyhow.

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the pan removed and found connecting rods 6 and 7 with spun bearings. I'm a broke and poor ****** at the moment and I'd hate the for this truck to just sit there not running. I will mic/plastigauge the journals to see how badly hurt they are and hopefully install new STD+ .001 or .002 U/S rod bearings as well as a HV/HP oil pump which will cost me nothing. I have done this before to my Jimmy and the sucker is still rolling 8 years later, I hope I get lucky again :)
In the meantime I will be on the lookout for a good 5.3/6.0 deal and swap this motor in when I find one. I will report progress/results as it happens, good day all...
DSC036731.jpg
DSC036721.jpg
DSC036711.jpg
DSC036701.jpg
DSC036691.jpg
DSC036681.jpg
DSC036671.jpg
DSC036661.jpg
DSC036651.jpg

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
not unless you are building a racing engine.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

btw you really need to have the crank refinished at a minimum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401