5.7L failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
screw driving it on a trailer, tow with it and have the engine go out in a blaze of scrap metal. then winch it onto the trailer. makes for a better story.

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha! I kinda wanna keep the 5.7 rebuildable so it can go in my travelall some day, but yes, it would be fun to have a rod shoot out the side of the block like my blazer did on my way to work a few years ago \m/

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear dudes, I have a couple questions: So a homie heard the news about the Yuk being down and hit me up saying his GF's son had a ''new" LS for sale. This LS had only been in a camaro for less than than 3000 miles, it interested me so I went and looked at it. It turns out, it is not a LS, I ran the casting and found this: 10243880 96-up 350 2 & 4-Bolt Vortec Roller.
They asked for 800 bucks and I got them down to 650, it comes with no intake (they sold it, they said it was TPI like vettes have). Motor looks clean and has been covered up to keep the dust off. If y'all agree this is a good replacement engine deal for the Yukon, I have someone to lend me the cash and grab it, thoughts?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
was a 95.00 block i believe pull a lifter and verify roller cam setup and please post a pic of the ends of the cylinder heads and from top looking into the engine showing the intake bolt pattern. this will verify what you have and if it will fit.

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couldn't get pix today but I know for sure it's a roller cam, it has the sheet metal spider that keeps the lifters from rotating, and I thought I saw a ZZ4 stamp on it, the only fishy thing I noticed is the metal timing cover, are these blocks ready for the CPS and plastic cover?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
then not likely. if that cover has no provisioned hole on lower right side that a sensor fits into then it won't have a reluctor inside on the crank for the sensor. the relucter is keyed to crank so the crank may need changing at which just give up and keep looking.

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, and this reluctor cannot be installed on the ZZ4 crank? Ima look into it and do a bit of research, something tells me I should acquire this motor, if it gets too involved to drop in the Yukon I could always use it for one hell of an upgrade in my SSII truggy! :D

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
unless they are the exact same crank and block part number i would not even attempt it. unless you have lots of time to do research and side by side comparisons of them with measurements as needed to verify compatibility. personally as well if it actually has a mechanical fuel pump attached to the engine i would not waste time on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401