5.3 2000 Tahoe question -fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tkrysl

Reaction score
Noticed a fluid leak. I think I located the culprit but I've got no idea what it is!

Can you tell me what this little hose is, why it's leaking, and what to do to fix it?

Thanks in advance. You'll see the mess it's making under the wheel well. 5ad474f25f70ab44d801be712bfcbd6b.jpg01f0fdb8f4c3a26b45499eae8630626e.jpg

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks to be your front diff vent hose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tkrysl

Tkrysl

Reaction score
That looks to be your front diff vent hose

Would that fluid be green?! I can't wrap my head around the green fluid.

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would that fluid be green?! I can't wrap my head around the green fluid.

No clue why it would be green but the vent hose looks like that and it’s on that side

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some ****** put coolant in your front diff? We want pics of the destruction and mayhem when you have to pull the cover! Extra "Likes" for youtube video of the sounds before teardown.

OP
OP
Tkrysl

Tkrysl

Reaction score
Did some ****** put coolant in your front diff? We want pics of the destruction and mayhem when you have to pull the cover! Extra "Likes" for youtube video of the sounds before teardown.
No sounds right now.

Ordering parts for the diff breakdown today.

Prolly do transfer case while I'm at it and some Bilstein shocks.

OP
OP
Tkrysl

Tkrysl

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't capture video. The gear oil looked perfect. Zero wear and I am sure it was well over due for a change. It did have a slight green tint to it. I am guessing it is pushing out the breather tube and when oxygyn hits it, it turns tint.

I still do not know why it is leaking out of the breather tube. I removed the tube and forced air through it several times to make sure it was not clogged or blocked in any way.

Installing some Bilstein's this weekend and will check again when it is up on the life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo