4x4 to 2wd conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

holland71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has had any experience in converting a 90's model two door 4x4 tahoe to 2wd drive. the rear suspension seems pretty straight forward but some suggestions for the front would be great

thanks for any help

OP
OP
H

holland71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
not sure going to go look at it this weekend. just wondering if it would be a major pain in the butt. i know its going to take more than just swapping parts

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell yeah it's gonna be a major pain int he butt. Why don't you want 4wd??

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has had any experience in converting a 90's model two door 4x4 tahoe to 2wd drive. the rear suspension seems pretty straight forward but some suggestions for the front would be great

thanks for any help

Why not just leave it in 2wd mode?

njJohn

Reaction score
My brother inlaw used to work at a hydrolics shop. He would see things like the front driveshaft and axles removed. You have to leave the outer part of the cv/axle in place. Or the wheel falls off. So at this point its 2wd and theres a front diff and transfercase doing nothing. Then whynot not remove the front diff thats just weight sitting there. Next set would be a 2wd trans.
Ok, after all that, you made room for bags or hydrolics. If your looking for the extreem static drop. You can do it. But people do extreem static drops with the 4wd still functioning. Everything is at some pretty crazy angels, thou. 4X4's have short control arms mounted on the side of the frame. So its higher right from the factory. A subframe swap is a big job, but possible.

ps-92-99 2wd 2 doors just cant be found in the north. 2wd 4 doors can be.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say just hold out for a 2wd rather than by a 4wd and convert it. :shrug: If you already owned the 4wd and wanted to convert it that'd be different but since you haven't actually spent the money to buy it yet just hold out for what you really want to begin with. That's my 2 cents :High 5:

njJohn

Reaction score
Here I just tried this today. Pretty cool.
http://www.searchtempest.com/

You can search craiglist nationally. I found a 2dr 2wd in Boston about 200 miles from me.

OP
OP
H

holland71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the guy only wants 600 bucks for it and it just need a tranny. if i convert it to 2wd i will need to get one anyways. i want it to be a father-son project he is only thirteen so we have a couple years before he is driving

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the guy only wants 600 bucks for it and it just need a tranny. if i convert it to 2wd i will need to get one anyways. i want it to be a father-son project he is only thirteen so we have a couple years before he is driving

I gotcha now! Well, for $600 that's awfully hard to pass up and for a father/son project those are priceless memories so it makes perfect sense now :) I guess the body is in pretty good condition?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Codered5557