4WD vs AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booyahzman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in the search for a 03+ Yukon, and have always sought one with the 4WD system due to wanting to lift it, but would also like to get more information on the differences between the 4WD system and the AWD system.

I know the 4WD system basically has a 2WD, 4WD, and an auto setting. How does the AWD system on these trucks work? Does it switch between either the front or rear wheels having traction? Which would be best for towing? How about MPG, is one better than the other usually?

I'm just looking for any and all information I can get my hands on! Thanks in advance!

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AWD is just that, AWD. no hi or lo. There is a viscous clutch in the TF case that sense's slip in either the front or rear diffs. It adjusts the amount of power going to either end. It's almost as good as a Subaru system. If you blow drive line (front or rear) with the AWD system you go no where without destroying your TC clutch. if you had the 4wd system you can just put it in 4x4 and drive it home. There are no electronics involved with the AWD system. Now, IDK if the NNBS AWD system is different.

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The awd system does like to eat front differentials which seems to be less of a problem w the 4x4 system.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The awd system does like to eat front differentials which seems to be less of a problem w the 4x4 system.

You are correct. I did get 100k out of mine before a re-bearing.
The 4wd's have an axle disconnect where the AWD's don't.

And it does seem that 90-130k is where most of them start to make noise.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4wd would be better for towing and for fuel economy. I consider the 4wd to be more durable and reliable.

AWD is just fine for on and offload use but less effective since you can't control the full lock. It locks into full 4wd only when wheel slip is detected.

As others had mentioned the front differentials tend to be noisy with high mileage and the viscous coupling in the transfer case eventually fail and need replaced

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal preferences is:

2WD or 4WD! Never ever AWD!!

I conceder the AWD a scam by the car manufacturers!!

Why?

The AWD consume the front axles or diff and steering and brakes (the extra front power load!) wich iw good for them more maintenance= more parts replacement+labor+ shorter vehicle life

simply like they are telling us " if you didn't like the FWD because it is BAD and you prepared the RWD as the premium level cars (and old) we preset to you the worst AWD now you well double your service plans :) we can add a small flip switch for you to chose which mode you prefer (FWD/RWD or AWD/4WD) but nooo only the ECU can do the change after it makes sure that everything was consumed!

Any SUV built AWD I well never buy it or use it only 4WD part time /2WD (RWD) only!

I may be old school but I prefer real on fakes!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I am ok with AWD, but not if it means I have to sacrifice 4-lo. My old Jeep had AWD, but still had the option of 4-lo. It was a good compromise, but gas mileage always takes a hit. I prefer to be able to choose (2wd, 4-hi, 4-lo, auto 4wd).

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I am ok with AWD, but not if it means I have to sacrifice 4-lo. My old Jeep had AWD, but still had the option of 4-lo. It was a good compromise, but gas mileage always takes a hit. I prefer to be able to choose (2wd, 4-hi, 4-lo, auto 4wd).

I can still switch into 4LO with my AWD. However, I am NOT arguing any points made above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia