4l60e problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J444HN

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help.
I live in the UK and after my trans blowing I bought a rebuilt 4l60e online from a guy who builds them all the time apparently.

Anyway, for various reasons I can't return it or contact him for that matter and the transmission isn't working as it should.

I'll list the problems and let you see what I'm dealing with.

When selecting drive or reverse it takes a second or two to 'grab' and almost thumps into gear. Then it's fine...til you select either Reverse or Drive again and it does it again.

The main issue is it doesn't shift properly. It holds gears too long and downshifts at strange points...more worryingly, it rarely shifts into 4th and just holds 3rd in high revs.
Here is the list of the parts used and whether you believe them to be part of the problem;

"Currently has a 4wd output shaft fitted, but I am happy to fit a 2wd one and tail housing at no extra cost. There will be a slight delay in dispatch we hope I swap it over if required.

It has all Alto HEG frictions
Alto red band,
Corvette servo,
extra frictions in the 3-4 clutch pack,
Transgo HD2 shift kit,
all new seals etc throughout. Reconditioned pump, new solenoids and selector shaft switch.

Basically a full heavy duty/high performance rebuild, good for up to around 400hp or heavy towing. Pictures show some of the parts that went into the transmission"

That's the description from the seller, any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

John

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you can't even contact him I'd have to say you probably got duped by a scammer. He might have just painted it and shipped it. Did you check reviews or look for complaints against him? Sounds to me like it's a blown transmission that needs to actually be rebuilt. I'm not sure what advice you're looking for but I do feel bad for you. That sucks.

sefiro

Reaction score
Sounds like pressure is low, and/ or the forward/reverse accumulator is leaking or broken.

Did he replace the separator plate - some of the check ball holes may enlargened the old plate of it is still there.

Also, many/most rebuilders will reuse springs and pistons on the accumulator unless they find something broken or are building a race unit.

You can check/repair the above with the tranny in the truck.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill have to agree with sefiro. The PCM (AKA Engine/Transmission computer) controls the shifting via the shift solenoids on your valve body. The separator plate which is in between the valve body and the main housing of the transmission. The check balls usually ping the hell out of their holes they are suppose to rest on but instead become lodged and then bad things happen.

Hermans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmm sounds like a scam, or this "guy" is just a amateur. Anyway i would go to a official company, and let them look at it. One thing I know is that a automatic transmission is the most complex piece of a car. Sorry to hear!

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey John.
I feel for you here. But don't lose all hope yet. You posted this a couple days ago; where are you @ on the issue as of now? I hope you aren't driving the truck with these symptoms. If it is in fact a newly reman'ed unit, there may not be a big problem with it but continuing to drive the truck as normal may cause actual mechanical damage requiring another rebuild. Respond with an updated status please

OP
OP
J444HN

J444HN

Reaction score
Hey John.
I feel for you here. But don't lose all hope yet. You posted this a couple days ago; where are you @ on the issue as of now? I hope you aren't driving the truck with these symptoms. If it is in fact a newly reman'ed unit, there may not be a big problem with it but continuing to drive the truck as normal may cause actual mechanical damage requiring another rebuild. Respond with an updated status please

Hi Chubbs,
I'm not driving the vehicle as I'm not enjoying it but now I know it can cause more damage I'll make sure it doesn't move. I'm quite competent when it comes to cars but not so much with trans but I get the feeling it's not completely scrap. I've just got a feeing that it's something not done right rather than needing a full rebuild.
But as it stands I've not done anymore about it.
Im thinking about swapping the valve body out and separator plate to see effectively remove the Tansgo shift kit.

Thanks for your reply!

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Chubbs,
I'm not driving the vehicle as I'm not enjoying it but now I know it can cause more damage I'll make sure it doesn't move. I'm quite competent when it comes to cars but not so much with trans but I get the feeling it's not completely scrap. I've just got a feeing that it's something not done right rather than needing a full rebuild.
But as it stands I've not done anymore about it.
Im thinking about swapping the valve body out and separator plate to see effectively remove the Tansgo shift kit.

Thanks for your reply!

Probably a dumb question I'm sure you checked it out: what was the fill level on the trans' after the truck was up to operating temp?? Did the trans come to you already filled, or did you have to fill it?

Do you have a GM-spec diagnostic tool? Could be some pending codes stored that aren't necessarily activating the 'check engine' lamp.

I'm not going to throw a bunch of suggestions as you have obviously dealt with trans problems before & know a lot more than I do.

I'm just thinking what's easiest/cheapest just as initial troubleshooting before I start cussing out the seller for not returning my calls & emails or paying somebody else to do what I can easily do myself. Have you done any internet searches yet?? Then you could always call a shop that rebuilds 4L60e. Mech's/techs are usually helpful over the phone; most of them know everything about trans', the smartest man of Gods green earth & happy to let you know it by their diagnostics prowess. (Not knocking on any pro trans' guys here, just my overall experience with mech' in general) All you have to do is start off by sharing how much $$ you have spent, state the issue in short, then agree with everything they answer with. You should get an abundance of info that way.
I called a trans shop 2-weeks ago in regard to buying a corvette-spec servo & .490 boost valve; the man who answered was happy to drop everything he was doing for a good 15-mins to share his knowledge & opinions with me. Just getting a couple different guys like that on the phone will give you more than enough info on what to begin checking-out & troubleshooting. Sefiro has excellent advice far as that goes. Always good to do what you can with trans before having to pull it out.

Last edited:

sefiro

Reaction score
I suggest getting a rebuilt valve body with a set of sonnax valves. Also, replace the separator plate with a transgo plate (harder metal). Have! A set of transgo springs around in case any of the accumulator springs are broken. Also good to have, replacement metal Pistons, pins, seals and separator plate seals.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest getting a rebuilt valve body with a set of sonnax valves. Also, replace the separator plate with a transgo plate (harder metal). Have! A set of transgo springs around in case any of the accumulator springs are broken. Also good to have, replacement metal Pistons, pins, seals and separator plate seals.

In his original post, there was a copy/paste from the person who sold him the reman' trans stating what was used in the build including a TransGo HD2 shift kit. Is there anything that he should be looking for specifically with that kit if it is indeed there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157