4 Wheel Drive Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJCHAR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I’ve got an odd problem I was hoping someone might have experience with or a suggestion were to start looking. I have a 99 2dr Tahoe and when I engage 4hi everything works as it’s supposed too, light flashes and then goes out all wheels are driving but when I’m driving I start getting a vibration and the truck feels like it’s pulling left or right randomly. I go back to 2hi and everything’s fine, no vibrations and no pulling. I’ve asked mechanics I know and they’ve never heard of this issue and I don’t wanna take it to a shop without at least some idea of what it could be because I don’t wanna get rapped for some ******** that’s not necessary. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the front wheels differ in size at all, whether in wheel size or tread depth? Unevenness with wheels/tires can cause pulling to one side or the other, in my experience.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell us how you got here. Is this a truck you've have for a while? It was okay until it wasn't? Something you changed or worked on?

Or this a truck you just bought and don't know the history on? Someone before you could swapped gear ratio on only one axle and you don't know this? Or there's something going on with the differential?

OP
OP
A

AJCHAR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply’s. So the tires are new, all the same size. I replaced em cause they were worn and I thought that might be the issue.
I’ve had the truck for a little more than 2 years. It’s had a bunch of problems that I’ve been fixing as I have the time and money but up until a couple months ago the 4 wheel drive has been working perfectly. One day I put it on as it was snowing and roads were covered and the truck started feeling like it was pulling left and right. That’s when I changed the tires. Shop that did the tires said they couldn’t align it because there were steering issues; tie rods were shot, pitman arm, idler arm, upper and lower ball joints, shocks. So I replaced everything and the steering box, because it was leaking and got the alignment done. Thought that a bad pitman or idler arm or something that was replaced might’ve been the issue with the 4wd but it’s still there and I don’t know what it could be. I was about to rebuild or replace the front diff but thought I might get some other opinions before I start throwing parts at it. Thanks again

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it's got some miles on it. Common for all of those parts to be worn on these trucks with some miles on them. Upper control arm bushings are also common, have someone look at them. Check the front drive axle CV joints

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop that did the tires said they couldn’t align it because there were steering issues; tie rods were shot, pitman arm, idler arm, upper and lower ball joints, shocks.

Was the idler arm bracket also replaced?

Despite the new parts (or in case you got a bad one) it’d be worthwhile to jack it up and check for play in the steering linkage.

OP
OP
A

AJCHAR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was the idler arm bracket also replaced?

Despite the new parts (or in case you got a bad one) it’d be worthwhile to jack it up and check for play in the steering linkage.
Yeah the idler arm bracket was also replaced.

I have not jacked it back up to check for any play but when the shop did the alignment they shook down the front end and inspected everything to make sure they could align it properly and they said it was all good. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything but I hope they would have found excessive play if there was any. I’ll check that later today when I’m off.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the symptoms also occur on 4LO? Try that on maybe some grass or dirt road.

I don't really have any other ideas, just maybe get the alignment double checked.

It's weird that the issue started prior to any work performed or tires replaced. Maybe get the tires rotated just to rule that out. I'm not sure if temporary removal of the rear differential and test driving it is okay? I think for a short distance it should be fine(?).

Was the truck in any kind of prior accident to your knowledge?

OP
OP
A

AJCHAR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah that’s kinda were I’m at, no clue.
I rotated the tires when I did all the steering work as it had been about month after the new tires were put on. It hasn’t been in any accidents since I’ve owned and nothing I could find on a vin search or a visual inspection revealed.
I was wondering if it could be something with the electrical actuator not fully extending and letting the fork disengage in the diff, intermittently letting the gears slip? I don’t even know if that’s possible but again I have no clue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts