4 low only on some Yukon 4wd's???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agent WD-40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleive the two speed transfer case also was bundled with the towing package that came with the lower rear end gear ratio. After driving examples with the lower rear end ratio (3.42) and the taller (3.08) I decided I definitely wanted the lower ratio. The vehicle felt much faster. I started looking for pictures of used cars online to see if it came with 4 Low to see if it would have the lower rear gear.

The difficulty in finding a used one optioned the way I wanted is a big part of why I landed on the Denali. It had all the stuff I wanted (including the 3.42) in one single package so it was a lot easier to find.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as answered in the other thread....I believe 09-up had to have the Z71 package for the 4 lo transfer case.

you can spec the Z71 package on a GMC as it is just that ...suspension, and skids...even a 2wd can have it, then you can go up levels...with a 4wd...shocks, skids, gearing, transfer case, and even oil coolers

RotaryMachineRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm almost certain my 2012 is not a Z71, it is an LT but it has the towing package with Transmission cooler, lower gear ratio, and 4 Low on it

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're looking for a 2010+ Tahoe for my wife. There are three criteria - it must be black, not a rental and have the towing package with 3.42 gears. It is hard to figure out which ones have the gears. Hopefully the 4 low dial will be an accurate indicator before I drive to look at one.

Kahunah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
RPO code in the glove box:
GU6 - 3.42
GT4 - 3.73
G80 - Gov Lock
K5L - Aux Cooling
Z82 - Heavy Duty Tow

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads