3rd Brake Light Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it legal to not have one? I wanna take mine off because I took off my roof rack and it would look a lot better without my 3rd brake light.

Also, to anyone who has taken it off, was it easy and what does it look like when you take it off? I know there wires running to it so im a little worried about that and what im going to do. Any help is appreciated!

xX Mavr1ck Xx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was after a certain year that they made it required to have the 3rd brake light, not for sure though. But a good alternative would be the "line of fire" or whatever it is that goes between the rear bumper and the tailgate. Thats just my opinion if you're trying to keep a 3rd light. I think I also heard somewhere that someone relocated it to inside the car to shine through the back glass? lol idk.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is all white, I'm going for a monochrome look eventually and that third light sticks out. I thought about color matching it to make it blend in. Maybe remove it and mount on at the top of the window or just inside the window...

drifter666

Reaction score
I'm only guessing here but because the wires come out of the roof there is probably a hole there with a rubber grommet to keep it from leaking, also I'm not sure if it just screws down from the outside but if it doesn't you will have to take your head liner off too. Again I have no clue but I would imagine that's how it would be.

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 3rd brake light comes off easy its just 2 screws and adhesive to the roof. there are 2 mounting holes (one of which that carries the wires thru) and 2 holes for the screws.

roadrageror

ROADRAGEROR
Reaction score
not trying to thread jack here but i never thought about a 3rd brake light delete.i have been trying to find a clear 3rd brake light forever! thats the last thing on my truck with color inside or out.if anybody knows where i could find one could you send me a link?

i think it would just depend on the state/province but i think it should be fine to shave it.would look nice and clean! BUT IF YOU DID A GOOD JOB THE COPS WOULD NEVER KNOW THERE WAS ONE THERE ANYWAY.

Rebelution

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every vehicle made after (I think) '86 is required to have a third brake light. Don't know about your state but in Texas you only need two functioning brake lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandon X

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 3rd brake light comes off easy its just 2 screws and adhesive to the roof. there are 2 mounting holes (one of which that carries the wires thru) and 2 holes for the screws.

Awesome, so do you have yours removed? If so have you ever gotten pulled over or any trouble from the cops?

After reading all these posts I reallllly want to removed it because it will make my tahoe look even smoother, I just don't want to get a ticket for it.

97yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took mine off and painted it white...this weekend im going to smoke the lense. that smoked one you found is badass..i might consider that to continue the black on white look

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA