3d Printing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone on the forum has experimented with 3d Printing parts for our trucks. I've designed a few body clips and trim clips and printed those in PLA which have held up well against the elements. I've been thinking about custom shrouds for fog lights and other miscellaneous parts but just curious if anyone has already done some of this.

O2bwln

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fellow 3d printer here, and curious why you printed the parts in pla vs nylon or petg. Pla is not very strong and it could compromise the part it's supporting/holding. I haven't printed anything for my '17 escalade but am designing some brackets for the interior to hold my kid's tablets.

Looking forward to hearing from other 3d printers.

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellow 3d printer here, and curious why you printed the parts in pla vs nylon or petg. Pla is not very strong and it could compromise the part it's supporting/holding. I haven't printed anything for my '17 escalade but am designing some brackets for the interior to hold my kid's tablets.

Looking forward to hearing from other 3d printers.

Honestly I had the PLA on hand and ready to go. The parts I printed were clips to hold the wheel well molding in place (most were there but 1 or 2 were missing). I wasn't too concerned about the parts being too flimsy at this point. Would love to see the tablet holders you design. Are you going to upload the stls to thingiverse?

xDan

Reaction score
Could you guys link whatever stl files you made or know about? I'm ok with designing my parts but if someone has already done it, no need to beat a dead horse.

BTW, anyone use that nylon with embedded carbon fiber strands yet?

Garandman

Reaction score
We have a small commercial 3D printer that can build ABS parts up to 8”x8”x6”.

ABS has much better impact strength and heat resistance than PLA so it’s surprising they’ve held up. Neither material will hold up to underhood temps or petrochemicals.

I could arrange to build it for the material cost if you have a good STL file.

Nylon is a particularly tough material to use as it’s a crystalline resin. Machines with carbon fiber loading are hitting the market, such fillers are extremely abrasive so they won’t be cheap.

O2bwln

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Happy to post the stl once I'm finished modeling the brackets, I'll post them on Thingivese and myminifactory and attach the link.

I usually print in PETG and Tulman Nylon(for small parts); just ordered the carbon fiber filament for my new 3d printer and will start experimenting with this material. Problem will be having the new parts blend with the kona interior aesthetic of my escalade without looking like an afterthought

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you guys link whatever stl files you made or know about? I'm ok with designing my parts but if someone has already done it, no need to beat a dead horse.

BTW, anyone use that nylon with embedded carbon fiber strands yet?

There are a ton of files out here. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. The parts I designed were very basic as I was new to 3d printing and didn't care if the part broke after some amount of time. In fact, I sold the car that I had printed the parts for. They PLA printed parts were still in good shape and had been on the truck for a year in the Midwest (summer and winter months). https://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:2?q=car&sa=&dwh=405a8ae70f7537d

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy to post the stl once I'm finished modeling the brackets, I'll post them on Thingivese and myminifactory and attach the link.

I usually print in PETG and Tulman Nylon(for small parts); just ordered the carbon fiber filament for my new 3d printer and will start experimenting with this material. Problem will be having the new parts blend with the kona interior aesthetic of my escalade without looking like an afterthought

Which printer are you using? I bought a Prusa copy from Microcenter called the I3 Plus. It's been pretty good and I found it on sale for $300 so it wasn't cost prohibitive. I've been eyeing some of the new stuff coming from Prusa lately though and the emerging liquid printing is pretty interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700