22" Stock Yukon Denali Wheel question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trudee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just picked up a 2016 Yukon Denali. It was the only black one they had in stock and it was fully loaded. It's my 2nd Yukon and I already love it. The only thing I don't love about the car are the 22" Chrome 6 spoke wheels. I like the shape of the wheels themselves, just not a fan of chrome. I'm considering powercoating them a satin or sliver color. Maybe even black. The dealer did offer to switch them out for a set of the 7 spoke aluminum 7 spoke 22's with the chrome inserts.

I guess my question is, has anyone powder coated the chrome 6 spoke 22's? I love the shape of this wheel and would love to see it in another color

Other question is, are the inserts of the 7 spokes removable? If they are I might just swap them out and powercoat the inserts. Would save me some money that way.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 65231

View attachment 65232
I removed the chrome inserts on my 22" 7-spoke silver wheels and it looks great! There have been questions or comments on whether the screw holes would look bad or what the finish under the inserts looks like. The screw holes look like wheel details and the finish is like the rest of the wheel. Highly recommend removing if you don't like the bling. The overall look of the wheel is now much darker without the light-catching chrome inserts.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You CAN powder coat over chrome wheels, but I wouldn't recommend it. Depending on the quality of the chrome finish the baking process of powder coating can cause damage and/or weaken the chrome, making the overall finish less durable. Picture a powder coated finish now applied over chrome that may eventually start to corrode, pit, and peel, thus taking the powder coat with it. Make sense?

If you don't like the chrome rims I would highly suggest going to a different rim all together, I wouldn't waste money changing the color of a chrome rim, whether powder coating or painting, the end result just won't be durable and won't last. Then you'll be left with rims that aren't even worth trying to sell.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol I literally took an extra two months to find my XL Denali WITH those wheels! Or a dealer that would switch out the wheels for them (which no dealer wanted to do)... as you can tell you shouldn't have any problem unloading them if you wanted to replace them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84

Latest posts