20mpg average possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Granted it's not a tahoe/yukon/burb but my '08 crew cab 5.3L on a recent 500+ mile trip averaged 19.3mpg with the AFM/V4 mode turned off. I was trying hard and had it up to 19.8 but then my wife drove and got in a hurry. But I imagine with the correct tuning plus synthetics and easy driving it would be possible for a tahoe to do that.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Granted it's not a tahoe/yukon/burb but my '08 crew cab 5.3L on a recent 500+ mile trip averaged 19.3mpg with the AFM/V4 mode turned off. I was trying hard and had it up to 19.8 but then my wife drove and got in a hurry. But I imagine with the correct tuning plus synthetics and easy driving it would be possible for a tahoe to do that.

So you have a tune?

SAM77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered a 2010 Tahoe LT and made sure I did not get the towing package. This gives me a 3.08 rear axle gear vs a 3.42 with towing. The 2010 also has a 6 speed trans. May have been 09 the first year for this trans not sure. I have two year average of 19.4 mpg. This is with no mods other than K&N filter(not sure this makes much difference). Highway only will give 21+ mpg. I use the instant mpg like the vacum gauge was used in the old days and keep a soft sure. Minimize idling and other non important running of the engine. Someone will what towing issues-unles pulling a motor home or large boat not a problem. I pulled a two axle u-haul from Indiana to Texas with some furniture and personal belongings of my son and had no problems. Still got 16+ with trailer. Hope this is helpful to someone

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I drive my 09 Suburban from NY to Florida, I average 20.5 MPG. Coming back home, I do 19... Every time.
I'm not positive, but I suspect that southern states may not oxygenate the gas like in the NY area, so I'm getting better mileage from their fuel.

What kind of truck? What I am about to say is not directed at you.....How the hell can you compare mileage when there are many variants of these trucks??? Some guys are posting 20mpg+ with a say 2007 yukon which is very well possible (highly unlikely, I will almost guarantee it) with 5.3L and no 4wd while others have 2007 Yukon Denali with its monster truck 6.2 and awd never mind differant gears. You need to compare apples to apples.....if not this thread is useless!

Dont mind my rant, I just pissed I havent seen 12mpg since I bought this thing last month! smh

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC there is only like 1 or 2 MPG difference in the ratings between 2wd and 4wd

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But there's a helluva difference between a 5.3 and a 6.2. Especially since most of the 6.2's are AWD. Mine is a true 4X4 so obviously I run it in 2WD most of the time, but sucked the bejeezus out of gas when bone stock and new and did a little over 11 MPG. Now with 30K on the clock and a few mods, it still can't pull 20 MPG on anything but a downhill.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But there's a helluva difference between a 5.3 and a 6.2. Especially since most of the 6.2's are AWD. Mine is a true 4X4 so obviously I run it in 2WD most of the time, but sucked the bejeezus out of gas when bone stock and new and did a little over 11 MPG. Now with 30K on the clock and a few mods, it still can't pull 20 MPG on anything but a downhill.

Downhill with a 200mph tailwind I couldnt get the numbers some are posting! LOL

Years ago I knew someone with a low mileade 2 door, 2wd Tahoe and he didnt see 20mpg......These days I think people look at the DIC and get there mpg#'s from the instant. Like I mentioned in one of my others posts in a similiar thread I know/knew numerous people that have had Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades and no one had ever gotten 20mpg. What makes me laugh is everyone knows that the mpg ratings on window stickers are total BS and obviously unobtainable in the real world but yet people post that they exceed them! smh

Last edited:

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a tune. BB tune in my 6.2 Tahoe was the single biggest improvement in mileage and it's tuned for max power with no consideration for mileage. Forget a CAI or cat back, it's been proven they do very little unless you tune for them, and even then, tuning alone will do more than the other 2 combined without tuning for them. My average went up over 2 MPG over time, and it runs circles around stock Escalades. My DIC doesn't show instant MPG like my '07 did, for some reason they took that out, but the average is VERY close to actual MPG if I reset it for a single tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10