20mpg average possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierkonblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here achieved a 20mpg average (highway/city)? Normally Im all about HP with most of my vehicles, but after trading in a 22mpg, 400hp G8 GT for our Yukon, I miss the great mileage and power combo. Im thinking of doing the following mods in pursuit of a 500 mile tank of gas:
Intake, exhaust, LT headers, 2/3 drop, Comp 401-13 VVT cam, and some tuning.
My wife commutes almost 75 miles a day, mostly on the interstate, but Texas just raised the I-35 speed limit to 75, which was awesome for the G8, not so awesome for that brick Yukon. Some aerodynamic mods would be nice, like maybe removing the roof rack, but not sure how to go about doing that..

Faceplant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel ya when it comes to the mileage crunch. I have a 750+hp Cobra that gets around 20mpg on the highway (assuming I am not putting my foot up its ass), but my Tahoe is my DD and I would love to get 20mpg out of it. To be honest, I am not sure of the ROI of the mods you listed. Cams and LTs are not cheap, unless of course you do the labor yourself. Not sure how they would help in the MPG department anyway. Might want to talk to the Black Bear tuning peeps about a gas saver tune. That's what I was going to do.....

Awakened

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My buddy rented a Suburban while visiting Denver, he got an avg. of 19 mpg supposedly...

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting that now according to my vehicle computer.

I can double check and report back after i fill up in a day or so.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid you're asking for too much considering the nature of the vehicle you own ...

Even the Hybrids don't average 20mpg unless someone is driving 90% highway. I get between 22-24mpg on the highway and 15-18 city depending on how I'm driving. On a 50-50 split city-highway I average around 18-19mpg. That's weighing about 500lbs less than regular Tahoes and with improved aerodynamics (no rack, air dam, etc).

So, given that expectations are always the building blocks of disappointment, expecting 20mpg average out of your truck is setting you up for the latter. :)

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I just checked and they seem to be pretty much identical these days ... it used to be that the Hybrid weighed less, or at least that's what I remember.

Still, you can see the official mpg ratings here: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/bymodel/2012_Chevrolet_Tahoe.shtml and it's about 5mpg difference combined mpg with the hybrid rated at the mileage you are looking to get.

I'm not sure if the vehicle you're trying to get 20mpg from is the Denali mentioned in your sig, but I just can't imagine of any minor modifications getting you there. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/bymodel/2012_GMC_Yukon.shtml

Like I said, I'm happy if I get 18-19 mpg combined out of 50-50 city/highway driving.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I drive 74 miles one way to work on 98% highway and average 17.4 MPG. 14.5 when im on the streets. this is with the 5.3l FFE.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts