2021Yukon/ Intermittent rattle under truck at low speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paspasero

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2021 Yukon XL with 29k miles on it. Just recently I noticed while driving around my neighborhood, I would hear what sounds like metal hitting metal. I slapped my go pro with an external mic under the truck and the rattling was more clear. The rattling seemed to start while on 2nd or 3rd gear with the engine under load….sounding like it was not idling high enough. You can see the transfer case and exhaust shaking at the same time when the rattling starts. I would post the video here but seems there’s no option for it. I have taken my truck to the dealership and they could not replicate the problem. So they asked me to take it home. I showed them the video and my adviser himself agreed there’s something rattling. Any input would help. Thank you!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
TYF can't host videos. Upload it to YouTube or another host and post the link in this thread.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it has to do with your exhaust. The flex joint was moving alot when the noise was present towards the end of the video. 2021 with that many miles it should be under warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them fix it.

OP
OP
P

paspasero

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like it has to do with your exhaust. The flex joint was moving alot when the noise was present towards the end of the video. 2021 with that many miles it should be under warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them fix it.
Thanks for your input Thrust! So the dealer had the truck for three days and had two of their top technicians watch the video and inspect the truck while it’s on a lift. They took it for a test drive and claimed they didn’t hear anything out of the ordinary. Apparently, my video was not enough to motivate them to keep looking for the root cause so they requested I pick it up. Quick disclosure, my truck had three valve lifters replaced at 13k miles. My family and I were stranded 6 hours away from home. I’m curious if the exhaust manifold were not torqued to specs. One other issue we are having is the smell of exhaust in the cab with all the windows closed and vent set to recirculate. The dealer’s solution for the exhaust smell was to change the air filter. SMH. I do all the work on our vehicles and frustrated with my Yukon because it’s still under warranty and I have no choice but to have the dealer fix it. Thanks again for replying!

OP
OP
P

paspasero

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could be a broken Exhaust mount
One of my suspicions too. I’ll take a look as soon as I get my truck on my lift. I just find it coincidental that the rattling coincides with a drop in RPM or if when DFM turns off cylinders.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info to know. Is there another dealer you can take it to and have them look at it? The more I watch the video I see the transfer case move, exhaust shield, y pipe, etc. That to me is something out of balance and when you hit that rpm it's at it's worse. Can you hold it at an RPM and replicate it? If you have the transmission in neutral and hold the same RPM does it do it? When it does start to make that noise can you shift to neutral and see if it goes away? What about the 4 wheel drive, does it happen when it is engaged? Trying to eliminate items.

OP
OP
P

paspasero

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good info to know. Is there another dealer you can take it to and have them look at it? The more I watch the video I see the transfer case move, exhaust shield, y pipe, etc. That to me is something out of balance and when you hit that rpm it's at it's worse. Can you hold it at an RPM and replicate it? If you have the transmission in neutral and hold the same RPM does it do it? When it does start to make that noise can you shift to neutral and see if it goes away? What about the 4 wheel drive, does it happen when it is engaged? Trying to eliminate items.
I actually mentioned to my service advisor to emphasize the shaking of the transfer case and the exhaust pipe but he and the techs were so fixed on replicating the issue. I called GM customer support and was also directed to try another dealer. So I’ll give the next closest one a shot at troubleshooting. I’ll make a list of action items including the ones you mentioned and will report back with results. As of now, the shaking doesn’t happen while parked at idle or various rpms. I’ve put it in drive with my foot on the brake then gave it some throttle but still no noise or shaking. It almost seems like the shaking and noise happen when the tranny is in 2nd or 3rd gear and the DFM is running at the lowest displacement/cylinder firing. As if the firing is out of sync and not matching the gear setting/speed and the engine is on the verge of stalling. Sorry for the rant! LoL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM