2021 Tahoe theft horn wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aliberatore

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve had thieves cut my horn wire on two occasions and break the rear vent window to break into the vehicle.
Why doesn’t GM auto close the grill louvers to prevent them from pulling the horn wire that is visible/accessible when the louvers are open.
It takes seconds for them to deactivate the horn but pulling the wire and breaking the window. A silly design flaw by GM.

Attachments

• B4A6876D-049F-4A71-BE9F-DE035B6E3291.jpeg
    B4A6876D-049F-4A71-BE9F-DE035B6E3291.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 12
  • 5CCA2672-D730-4A4D-9505-AD808BDE39ED.jpeg
    5CCA2672-D730-4A4D-9505-AD808BDE39ED.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 16

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had thieves cut my horn wire on two occasions and break the rear vent window to break into the vehicle.
Why doesn’t GM auto close the grill louvers to prevent them from pulling the horn wire that is visible/accessible when the louvers are open.
It takes seconds for them to deactivate the horn but pulling the wire and breaking the window. A silly design flaw by GM.
sounds like to time to invest in a smart alarm system
www.viper.com
you will want a system compatible with "smart start"
viper is a brand of directed electronics, you can save a few bucks buying the directed brand, viper is just one of there "brand names"
they own many of the major alarm brand names, ie. clifford, viper, avital, etc....
the brains of the alarms are all the same under the covers.
smart start is a 4g./gps add-on module, so if the alarm is triggered you get: email, text, app alert, key fob audible alert/vibhration, siren alert on vehicle, horn, and any other thing you add. for instance a glass break sensor, tilt sensor, motion sensor, piezo horn, etc...
I have all of the above on all of my vehicles, plus very visible LED's that alerts any potential thief that the vehicle has a alarm system and therefore they should move on to easier prey.
typical instal cost is easily $1000.00 but worth every penny, monthly fee is around $12, you can save a little by purchasing 1~3 years instead.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the alarm installed please for the love of all that is holy make sure you keep and laminate all the wire schematics. I fixed a no start condition on a older 2500 suburban with a alarm system that the owners didn't know about. Fun times. Hard part was finding diagrams for a 25 year old no name alarm system.

OP
OP
A

Aliberatore

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For viper alarms -
How are the obd systems ? Did you hardwire ?
If they can’t cut the horn wire the vehicle anti theft will alarm.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For viper alarms -
How are the obd systems ? Did you hardwire ?
If they can’t cut the horn wire the vehicle anti theft will alarm.
had mine installed by a shop, but generally they integrate with oem pretty well, it doens't use obd.
I would not recomend trying to install a alarm system yourself, besides directed warranty's the alarm for life if it is installed by a authorized dealer
most car audio shop's install alarms I wouldn't have a regular shop do it either, you want to find the best rated place in your town.
if they cut the horn wire, that's not going to stop anything but the horn sound
at any rate I am sure you could re-route the horn wire so it is not so accessible, that should be relatively easy to do.
if you park it outside in front of your home get a motion sensor spot light, then whenever anyone walks by the spot light comes on, thieves like the dark like vampires......
get the brightest one you can find.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
being it is a 21 you should have options to upgrade the factory alarm as well, albiet the cost may be more or equal to a 3rd party system.
I like my viper I can control all 3 vehicles from my phone, gps tracking, set a digital fence, vehicle speed alerts, low battery alerts, etc.

Reaction score
They did the same to my neighbors truck, i saw a video were they use a long stick thru the grille then yank on it pulling out the wires. I was going to try to reroute the wires on mine some how.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have the horn wire rerouted so the thieves can't get to it
a 3rd party doesn't help this issue

a 3rd party alarm will be a complete mess at some point in the future when it fails, strong suggestion to not own it with that happens

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that totally sucks. But.......should I ever want to find a new career option that may, or may not, come with 3 square meals a day, I now know something beneficial. LOL

THE MORE YOU KNOW :secret:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have the horn wire rerouted so the thieves can't get to it
a 3rd party doesn't help this issue

a 3rd party alarm will be a complete mess at some point in the future when it fails, strong suggestion to not own it with that happens
hmm, I have had 3rd party alarms for 40 years, no problems to speak other than the fob wearing out which is to be expected for a wear item. i think one brain needed to be replaced once back in the 90's but they have a lifetime warranty so it didn't cost me a dime.
maybe if you have the local shade tree guy install it then you might have issue's
when I get a new vehicle it's the first thing to get done, these vehicles are too easy to steal or break into at least a alarm "helps" move the problem on too the next guy with no protection. If a potential thief can see there is a alarm they are less likely to risk getting caught by triggering it and will pass you up.
if you live in a city it's pretty much a "need to have" item., country living..maybe not so much.
I got tired of my vehicles getting broke into real fast.....
if you really don't want to install a alarm then you could connect a blinking red or blue led up on the headliner & front window where it is visible at night and that's really the thing that a thief "see's" so you could fake them out with very little cost. you can even buy the window stickers online for cheap also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman