2021 3rd brake light replacement or spoiler removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West1

Reaction score
Anyone sound deaden the spoiler?
I need to put some sound deadener in my spoiler/3rd brake light and can’t seem to find a video on how to remove it. I tried searching the 3rd light replacement and don’t see videos or write ups on the 2021+ models yet.

When doing so like the previous gen Tahoes, the glass wants to come out as well. So before I go and remove stuff that’s not needed, I figured I’d ask.

What I did so far…
I removed all 11 T-27 screws and 3-4 nuts that connect the hinge to the spoiler. Then I noticed the entire glass moved w/the spoiler. Screwed everything back and ready to start at square one again.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5585.jpeg
    IMG_5585.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5584.jpeg
    IMG_5584.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 13

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s an LED lamp, so they didn’t make it “serviceable.” On top of that, why are you putting sound deadening material in there? I notice no additional noise when riding in the third row of ours.

OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
I put a 15” sub in the trunk back in 2020 and tired of all the rattling. I’ve deadened the number, hatch and other areas that make noise. One of the last bits that sound pretty bad is the dreaded spoiler.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you hear the rattlling over a 15" sub from inside? Also it may not be the spoiler. It is possible that it is the glass rattling against the latch mechanism. There is quite a bit of play in the seal and the glass that it could be rattlling around.

OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
How do you hear the rattlling over a 15" sub from inside? Also it may not be the spoiler. It is possible that it is the glass rattling against the latch mechanism. There is quite a bit of play in the seal and the glass that it could be rattlling around.
When I park and go full tilt, I am able to locate rattling and confirm by giving pressure to the area in question. From the driver seat, I can hear it around 50% volume and as I go louder, it does get drowned out.
100% positive it’s the spoiler. The black plastic between the spoiler and the 3rd brake light rattles. There’s also black plastic between our doors & hatch that’s roughly 1/8” thick… I’ve had to deaden that on all 3 doors. Had to remove the rear bumper and add deadener where the bumper rest on the car body and the area that is basically in free air to thicken the bumper panels. Deaden my license plate…

Alcohol, deadener, Heat gun & 1” roller has been the answer to whatever rattling I can get to.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ma6be you can dinf a way to get soray foam up into the spoiler area and that would help. Or you might have to remove the glass panel entirely to get to it. Not sure what else there is to need to get access to outside of wiper motor.

OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
Fellow member sent me this from his 2021 Yukon, I suppose it’s the same as the Tahoe! THANK YOU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts