2018 Yukon/Need tire and shock recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18Yuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife's 2018 Yukon SLT is coming up on 55K miles. It's ready for new tires. She says the ride has grown rougher since we bought it new so I'm looking to replace the tires and possibly upgrade the shocks. It has the 20" Michelins on it that came from the factory. Does anyone have recommendations on what brand and model of tire might give a smoother ride and also if I need to upgrade shocks to further improve the ride what does everyone recommend there?

Thanks.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Unless you really beat up the truck while driving or did a lot of off-roading, the shocks should still be good at 55k miles. Check each shock closely to see if you see any signs of leaking.

I don't know which specific model of Michelins came with the truck, but many folks here in the Forum run Michelin Defender LTX tires and are very happy with the ride quality and treadwear longevity.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stay with Mitchen's if you got 55,000 mil out of them. Then see how ride is before shocks if they are not leaking.

lbenson

Reaction score
I'm surprised it came with Michelin's on the factory 20"s. Thought they had thrown the junk Continentals on all the 20" rims. My 2018 Denali had the Continentals from the factory and we replaced at 25k as they rode like crap and had terrible tread patterns. Michelin Defenders are hands down the best tires for these trucks. Have had them both on 20s and 22s and they ride great. If you don't corner too hard you can easily get 75k out of a set of Defenders on the 20s.

shucknet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
+1 for Michelin Defender LTX. Had them on a Tahoe and a Silverado as well - best all around tire for the money. Snow traction rivals some snow tires.

OP
OP

18Yuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting my old thread for this one. First a correction. Our SLT has 18"s not 20"s. We did replace our old tires with new Michelin Defenders last year. We like the tires but my wife says she still feels like the ride quality is not good. It's too "jarring" over bumps. I know "ride quality" is a very subjective term. She definitely wants softer and smoother ride. So based on that request and the new tires what would the best replacement shocks be to give her a softer smoother ride? Did the SLT's have the "magnetic ride control" and how can I tell if mine has it? Does that impact what kind of shocks I can or should use?

Thanks all.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally put on starfire tires made by Cooper. Bought them on Amazon. They look like Michelin defenders, ride great, and cost about $600 for the set.

I was skeptical at first, but really like the ride and handling. Great in rain and snow too

I'd hold off on suspension as stated until after new tires are installed and at the correct pressure. I got 90k out of my front Denali struts before they were replaced due to oil leakage under warranty. The rear air ride is still great at 137k

Last edited:

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the LTZ then you have magnetic ride. I would say at 55k you are due for new front struts. You could order online for $1000 and pay a side mechanic $300 to install. I would get the torque specs and provide the mechanic the specs. You can go the dealer route which will cost you close to $3000. You get a lifetime warranty on the struts and 2 year on the install with the dealer. The replacement struts will last 80k or more since they are improved and made by BWI.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your Yukon SLT is without max tow, you have a conventional "premium smooth ride" suspension (shocks and springs) - just get some OEM style replacement shocks like the Bilstein B4 or Monroe OEM to keep a "wife happy" ride. The Bilstein 5100 are the most popular because they allow larger tires with a small lift, but they are a bit stiffer than stock. Any new shocks will be better than worn out ones. Now if you have the max tow (NHT - will have trailer brake controller and make compressor sounds in rear upon startup) you will need some specialty air shocks for the rear, and just know the springs are stiffer to handle higher loads...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan