2016 Yukon Denali HID lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slackerwil

Reaction score
Are folks changing the factory HID low beam lights for aftermarket kits? Am I being too critical in thinking the light output is lacking?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You only really have 3 options...

replace the ballasts for a higher watt ballast (brighter bulb will deplete the lifespan of the bulb faster)

replace the bulb with a different temp bulb (oem is around 4300k so the higher you go, the less usable light you'll have)

or if you really think the projector is lacking you could swap it out with a custom projector...

Reaction score
I think the light output is ok, but I do wish the color was a little higher temperature. My plan is to have the housing blacked out and swap the OEM low and fog bulbs to color match upgraded DRL's. Just for the new switchboards to come out to upgrade the DRL's, was supposed to be at SEMA...

I have swapped several different vehicles OEM HID to a higher temperature bulb and personally never saw a noticeable difference. I am sure there is one, but it was nothing that I could see day to day

Wilder126

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same question. What I don't understand is what the Denali HID setup looks like. First, from what I've found for replacement bulbs they cross reference as a D3H bulb.

So, has anyone with a Yukon Denali attempted to change their HID setup...whether it be bulb, or bulb and balast? If so, what product did you buy, where was it bought from and how did it turn out?

Would appreciate any answers or guidance further to this topic.

Cheers.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
The Yukon Denali is a D3S xenon bulb. Is actually stamped on the headlight lens next to the location of each light (high and low beam).

At any rate, I replaced the stock with a Morimoto D3S 6500 bulb. You can source from Amazon, The Retrofit Source, etc for around 70 bones give or take. It cleans up the look a bit but I honestly believe the projector lenses aren't that great in these vehicles so outside of color temp... the output is essentially the same. Could always mod to a clear projector lens but that is going to be more work and money to do.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-xb-d3s-bulbs.html?preselect=49893#.VvnxF9BOlnE

As a follow up... it was mentioned earlier that you could upgrade the ballasts from 35w to 55w along with a 55w xenon bulb. The current ballast is osram and fits into the headlamp moulding secured with three screws. The 55w ballasts you're going to find won't fit in the same location due to different shapes. At the end of the day, if you want to go the 55w route just be sure to get a 55w ballast and mount it wherever able and also get the d3s 55w xenon bulb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rlschmidt14

Reaction score
Are folks changing the factory HID low beam lights for aftermarket kits? Am I being too critical in thinking the light output is lacking?

I replaced fogs and now it's made me realize how weak our stock headlights are. I replaced bulbs with 5500K bulbs but I want to put 55w ballasts/bulbs in there. Anyone have any luck with a 55w headlight (low) ballast/bulb kit? Ideally I'd like to stick with Philips or Osram.

1trik88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced fogs and now it's made me realize how weak our stock headlights are. I replaced bulbs with 5500K bulbs but I want to put 55w ballasts/bulbs in there. Anyone have any luck with a 55w headlight (low) ballast/bulb kit? Ideally I'd like to stick with Philips or Osram.

Anybody got anything on this?

Ekim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Just curious which fog you used as a replacement? I have '17 xl denali. Looking to match the factory hid lows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667