2016 Yukon Denali aftermarket DVD player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brapril714

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just purchased a 2016 Denali, only thing missing is the drop down DVD player. Wife and kids really want one. Dealership wants $950 to add but advised we go elsewhere as it would be priced better. What are your opinions and what would you recommend.

Thanks

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the one from the Dealer. It would be covered under the GM warranty. Have them give you the part number, buy it online cheaper and then have them install or see if they will match the online price.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with aftermarket and get ones in the headrests. The OEM one is a flip down screen and blocks the view in the rear view mirror. It's not a major deal and I've learned to just use my side mirrors when the screen is down but it seems like an oversight on the design part.

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend the Headrest option as well. In fact, thats how my 2016 Tahoe LTZ came equipped.

A couple of things to note though.... And I'm not sure how the overhead player works since with my last truck I ripped out all of the factory equipment and installed a Kenwood Nav/DVD with headrest monitors. Having said that:

1. Apparently the headrest dvd player system is a complete stand alone unit. The one time I tried to use it I was surprised/disappointed that the audio does not play through the trucks speakers. Other factory DVD players may operate the same way but again, my Kenwood system gave me the choice.

2. The head unit does not control any functionality on the screens. Again... Probably me just being spoiled by the way the Kenwood system in my old truck worked.

3. The headrest dvd player in my Tahoe was a dealer installed option. They have to get into the seats to wire things up (obviously) so keep that in mind as well. Whoever did my install left dangling wires and exposed seat straps hanging. I didn't ***** because I didn't notice at the time of purchase and it was a pretty easy cleanup job if you're handy with rigging wiring and cables....
Those criticisms aside... I agree with the other 2 posts that the Headrest system is the way to go. I also think you can watch different content on each screen. Handy if you have multiple kids. My only child is a 13 year old girl and she gets far more milage out of the onboard wi-fi and her smartphone. The DVD system is basically collecting dust.

lilmac

Reaction score
If you do get an aftermarket overhead, be aware that when playing sound through your radio/head unit, it will pick up a lot of static. If your vehicle did not come with the overhead unit from the factory, the dealer will not be able to put in a factory unit after the fact. They will install an aftermarket unit. There are some aftermarket drop downs that have built in speakers that can resolve this. That is the only gripe I have with the unit the dealer installed in mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157