2015 Yukon - Change both diffs' oil and transfer case fluid early on

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by SuperOldSchool, Jun 25, 2017.

1. SuperOldSchool

SuperOldSchool TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jack
    Just sharing my experience with everyone. 2015 Yukon Denali with 39k miles.

I changed the gear oil in both differentials and the transfer case fluid today. Used Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 and their Synthetic ATF, which is compatible with Dexron VI. I wish I had done this at 5k or 10k miles. See below...

The transfer case fluid was still red and not too dirty. No pics of the fluid, but here was the magnetic plug before and after.

The rear diff fluid was a little dark, but still transluscent. Not too much paste on the magnetic plug. The cover and diff gears were a little dirty, so I sprayed them with brake cleaner to remove the black coating.

The front diff was the shocker! Oil looked like gray paint with a good amount of metal paste on the magnetic drain plug. I rarely drive in Auto or 4WD, so not sure how this came to be. Glad I changed it!

Regards,
    SuperOldSchool

Kpwweb likes this.
  2. salanizi

salanizi TYF Newbie

Name:
    Saqer
    Wouldn't changing the diff oil cause the new light oil not to be thick enough to compensate for the wear of the metal parts and thus cause premature failure of the diff components?

I thought general mechanical knowledge is that diff oils are better not replaced...???

3. SuperOldSchool

Name:
    Jack
    I have never heard that. In every 4wd vehicle I've had, I have always changed that oil at some point. It's a maintenance item.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  4. Tungsten2016lt

Tungsten2016lt TYF Newbie

Name:
    marcos
    What about tranny fluid. What weights for transfer case and rear end. Will be buying amsoil oils too. My tahoe has 47k miles now.

5. SuperOldSchool

Name:
    Jack
    I listed the gear oil and trans fluid (for transfer case) in the first post....this is a 2015 Yukon with 8 speed.

The 8L90 transmission requires Dexron-HP spec fluid. I have read the trans fluid swap is not as straight forward as days past. I've always done my own cars in the past, but may leave this one to the dealer at 45k. ( GM replaced my trans at 15k, so I'll be ready when odometer hits 60k)

Read this:http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/179503-8-speed-oil-level/

6. sumo

sumo dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı

Name:
    ian
    Never to early. It's too late is usually the problem

swathdiver likes this.
  7. 01SLE

01SLE Member

Name:
    Lee
    I had the exact same result on the font diff. 50k miles, 2016 SLT 4x4