2015 GMC YUKON XL Tailgate Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samvons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As a follow-up from my previous post, the dealership has had my Tahoe for over a week again this time. The problem has been previously twice, the first fix was by removing the shims and I’m not sure what they did the second time. Of course, which neither fix worked. They now have replaced the spoiler and its back at the body shop to have it painted and the roof line repainted from where the spoiler chipped the paint off. The body shop owner told me that he told the dealership the last time he had it exactly what the problem was and why it was sticking. He stated that he told them that the plastic trim piece was mounted about a 1/4" to far and when he got the new spoiler that piece was mounted correctly. I guess when I finally get it back, we will see if this fixes the problem.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the professional auto repair industry and I make sure EVERY CAR is fixed the FIRST TIME. It is amazing the incompetency of these dealers and how you just have to take your car back over and over and over to get the problem fixed. We call those shops "parts slingers"

OP
OP
G

GMJunky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The plastic bumper cover is a bit of a joke... I stepped on it to wash the roof of the truck and nearly pulled it off. It looks like a step and should be strong enough to step on in my opinion... But it isn't.

What do you expect from a $65k + vehicle:emotions122:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a follow-up from my previous post, the dealership has had my Tahoe for over a week again this time. The problem has been previously twice, the first fix was by removing the shims and I’m not sure what they did the second time. Of course, which neither fix worked. They now have replaced the spoiler and its back at the body shop to have it painted and the roof line repainted from where the spoiler chipped the paint off. The body shop owner told me that he told the dealership the last time he had it exactly what the problem was and why it was sticking. He stated that he told them that the plastic trim piece was mounted about a 1/4" to far and when he got the new spoiler that piece was mounted correctly. I guess when I finally get it back, we will see if this fixes the problem.

Hi samvons,

I am really sorry to hear about the difficulties you’ve had getting this tailgate issue resolved. I can understand how dealing with something like this in a new vehicle can be very frustrating. Have you gotten it back from the dealership and checked if the issue was resolved. Please let me know once you have a chance and feel free to message me if you would like to discuss this further.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
GM Customer Care

samvons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've finally got my car back, but I don't know if the issue has been fixed this time. It only happens when the car sat outside in the direct very hot sun. I guess we will find out when I do leave it in the sun for awhile.

Hi samvons,

I am really sorry to hear about the difficulties you’ve had getting this tailgate issue resolved. I can understand how dealing with something like this in a new vehicle can be very frustrating. Have you gotten it back from the dealership and checked if the issue was resolved. Please let me know once you have a chance and feel free to message me if you would like to discuss this further.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
GM Customer Care

Griff75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It took 3 or 4 trips to the dealer and they eventually had to replace the spoiler with a new one. PITA

If you've experienced the issue I would insist on a new spoiler to avoid the run around.
:twocents:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigburb3500