2014 Yukon 6.2L lifter noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike singleton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was finally able to get a video sound clip what my engine with the ticking noise. I have a 2014 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2. It has about 115k on the Yukon. It doesn't get driven but maybe once or twice a week. Normal oil change intervals with the oil life reminder helping out.

This sure sounds like a collapsed Lifter and/or a wiped CAM. With the AFM, these engines (both the 6.2 and the 5.3) really like Full synthetic oil and regular oil changes. When it drops from 8 to 4 cyl mode, with old conventional dirty oil, it's my understanding that they are very susceptible to wiping camshafts. Many of the GM dealerships are using full synthetic only (no blends) and that's all I would ever use in our Yukons and Suburban.

OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I been gathering my parts for the rebuild. Picked up some lifters and 1 of the 16 looks odd. I am returning but wanted to get an opinion from this group. Would you use this lifter?A160657D-A696-4283-BA89-937B81B7D4F9.jpeg

OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Comparison photo. 15 look like the bottom lifter and then the 1 discolored lifter. Just not looking to have an issue after getting the engine put back together. I’ve seen a couple of builds go wrong from bad replacement parts.

Also, I reached out and a replacement lifter is on its way. B729CAFB-5BBB-4E17-B14E-43FC43795EA0.jpeg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comparison photo. 15 look like the bottom lifter and then the 1 discolored lifter. Just not looking to have an issue after getting the engine put back together. I’ve seen a couple of builds go wrong from bad replacement parts.

Also, I reached out and a replacement lifter is on its way. View attachment 400226
Looks like the Steel got hot during the machining process. Perhaps their grinding machine ran out of cutting oil.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to replace me son's engine at 126K. Lifters failed and sounds like yours. Crankcase was full of metal. No hope of just replacing lifers.
That sounds like worse case lifter failure. This is why I recommend opening the motor and inspecting it before people go ordering parts before they find the extent of the damage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metal2forall