2013 5.3 Engine Noise what can it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea what's causing this ticking noise coming from the
engine?

probodyb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a lifter noise. A common occurence. My 07 2wd has the same noise. (135,000 miles) Check your oil level and only run full synthetic. I run Mobil 1 5W-30 with Mobil 1 Advanced filter. See if that quiets things down. Not much you can do except removing the valve cover and inspecting the lifters for looseness, then doing a valve adjustment. 3 main causes are; inadequate oils/filters, bad lifter, bent pushrod. Not worth it unless you are having more serious issues like the shift points being off or a much louder sound. (Pushrod-think roller coaster clicking.) Rent a GM Service manual from the library and decide if you want to have this taken care of at this point.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
63Blackseries

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply @probodyb, I just hit (50331 Miles) on mine and have been running Mobil 1 Synthetic with Mobil 1 Filter since day one, but the last oil change was at the dealer and they could have used Acdelco oil and Filter, which i wouldn't think it would cause the noise would it?.

I'll bring it to the dealer and mention the lifter noise and see what they say since i still have power train warranty thanks!

probodyb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, please let me/the forum know what they say about the cause/correction of the ticking. I have not brought mine to a Chevy dealer however, the mechanics I personally know say not to worry about it. Also, I found that our model years (07-14) have Active Fuel Management that kicks the cylinders down from 5.3 V8 to 2.7 V4. Highly interested, keep the forum informed!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n