2012 Yukon XL Denali - Recommendations for (close to plug and play) aftermarket stereo head unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been looking for a solid aftermarket car stereo that can give me Android auto and Apple carplay. I have looked into a couple of different options, but I cannot find a good one that can still use the factory cables that come with the stock Denali head unit. I tried one of these from Amazon, since it appears to be mostly plug and play and compatible for the the Denali trim and 2012 model year (SWTNVIN Android 11 Car Radio - https://a.co/d/fx0quJA), however, when trying to hook it up, I am missing any sort of plug that fits into the one in the attached image (from a different amazon listing).

Anyone find any good head unit options that don't require a bunch of extra parts and/or modifications?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-19-03-20-17-63_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-19-03-20-17-63_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 25

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Crutchfield.com and see what is available in your price range. If you find something that you like, talk to Crutchfield folks on the phone, and they will tell you what adapter you need to maintain all steering wheel functionality without cutting/splicing any wires. Even if you end up not purchasing from them, you will know what you need to accomplish your objectives.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That one is discontinued, but a new version is supposed to come out this summer. Looks like they have a 44 pin version.

No idea how good/bad the unit is, but looks OEM. The one you found looks just as good for half the price though!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a solid aftermarket car stereo that can give me Android auto and Apple carplay. I have looked into a couple of different options, but I cannot find a good one that can still use the factory cables that come with the stock Denali head unit. I tried one of these from Amazon, since it appears to be mostly plug and play and compatible for the the Denali trim and 2012 model year (SWTNVIN Android 11 Car Radio - https://a.co/d/fx0quJA), however, when trying to hook it up, I am missing any sort of plug that fits into the one in the attached image (from a different amazon listing).

Anyone find any good head unit options that don't require a bunch of extra parts and/or modifications?
in most cases if you want to retain rse & bose dsp/fade then you will need a maestro rr and a couple other adapters.
I saved money and bought all of mine off ebay and amazon, the maestro rr can be used because it is programmable to your radio & vehicle so it doesn't matter what it was previously used on, open box, etc can save you some money.
plus it gives you a obd interface with compatible head units so you can monitor the engine dynamics and if the check engine light comes on it will show you the code as well and tpms and door open alerts. 0-60 times and stuff like that.

OP
OP
S

smiley91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
in most cases if you want to retain rse & bose dsp/fade then you will need a maestro rr and a couple other adapters.
I saved money and bought all of mine off ebay and amazon, the maestro rr can be used because it is programmable to your radio & vehicle so it doesn't matter what it was previously used on, open box, etc can save you some money.
plus it gives you a obd interface with compatible head units so you can monitor the engine dynamics and if the check engine light comes on it will show you the code as well and tpms and door open alerts. 0-60 times and stuff like that.
I have heard a lot of good things about the maestro adapter, but as far as the other adapters, do you remember what all you needed? Do you remember which head unit you ended up getting?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of good things about the maestro adapter, but as far as the other adapters, do you remember what all you needed? Do you remember which head unit you ended up getting?
I am using a pioneer avic w8400nex (wireless android/carplay) and the maestro rr, I do not remember offhand the adapters used but you can easily find out what you need by going to the idatlink website and run the configurator it will list exactly what you need. the configurator is based upon your vehicle year/make/model and specific buttons on the steering wheel, bose system type, and headunit brand and model used.
I would write down what it says you need and the go shop for the best price online.
the only think I can note is if you have the 3rd row flip-down lcd screen then you will need to patch the 2nd lcd wires to the 3rd to make it work, the adapter is supposed to make it work but it does not work for a 3rd row screen so you just have to patch the wires.
I will note that kenwood has slightly better system integration with the maestro rr the kenwoods have a port for it, the pioneers use one of the a/v input ports instead.
i do not recommend sony or any other lower brand names. I would choose either kenwood or pioneer, both have options for built in nav pioneer uses "here" and kenwood uses "garmin"
the maestro rr module is programmed online by idatalink using your pc or laptop and a usb cable and they can even do custom programming if needed to address any issue's

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That one is discontinued, but a new version is supposed to come out this summer. Looks like they have a 44 pin version.

No idea how good/bad the unit is, but looks OEM. The one you found looks just as good for half the price though!
Just installed a Dynavin 10" in my Mercedes. They are 100% worth the crazy cost. CarPlay/Andriod Auto, XM Radio, plug and play and done in 2 hours or less

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using a pioneer avic w8400nex (wireless android/carplay) and the maestro rr, I do not remember offhand the adapters used but you can easily find out what you need by going to the idatlink website and run the configurator it will list exactly what you need. the configurator is based upon your vehicle year/make/model and specific buttons on the steering wheel, bose system type, and headunit brand and model used.
I would write down what it says you need and the go shop for the best price online.
the only think I can note is if you have the 3rd row flip-down lcd screen then you will need to patch the 2nd lcd wires to the 3rd to make it work, the adapter is supposed to make it work but it does not work for a 3rd row screen so you just have to patch the wires.
I will note that kenwood has slightly better system integration with the maestro rr the kenwoods have a port for it, the pioneers use one of the a/v input ports instead.
i do not recommend sony or any other lower brand names. I would choose either kenwood or pioneer, both have options for built in nav pioneer uses "here" and kenwood uses "garmin"
the maestro rr module is programmed online by idatalink using your pc or laptop and a usb cable and they can even do custom programming if needed to address any issue's
You will need an iDatalink Maestro RR or RR2 along with GM 5+ adapter. It's the only way to go. I also prefer Kenwood with the Maestro. Will even retain the factory flip down monitors. My new to me Escalade has a new Sony (barf) head unit, but previous owner didn't use a Maestro RR, so I will have to re-do their crap install. Fun fact, the newer high-end Sony's are now Maestro compatible.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need an iDatalink Maestro RR or RR2 along with GM 5+ adapter. It's the only way to go. I also prefer Kenwood with the Maestro. Will even retain the factory flip down monitors. My new to me Escalade has a new Sony (barf) head unit, but previous owner didn't use a Maestro RR, so I will have to re-do their crap install. Fun fact, the newer high-end Sony's are now Maestro compatible.
the sony software leaves a lot to be desired in my book, wish panasonic would have stayed in the car audio game

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES!!! Panasonic was great in the early 2000's, especially when they were the first to use digital amplifiers in their units (no clue if it was legit).

Here are some photos of the newest Sony:

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 2.31.56 PM.png

If you're wondering why my camera is so blurry, it's not. That's the crap screen of this new Sony. It does have wireless CarPlay though lol. I don't like the dash kit either. Looks stupid on the Escalade.

As a PSA, buy a Kenwood Excelon if it fit's your budget

42458379-D060-489E-97AF-14FACED43D45_1_105_c.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz