2011 suburban making a squeaking/squealing sound from drivers rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JT519

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need some serious help, my 2011 suburban on 305/35/24's is making a squeaking/squealing sound from the drivers rear.

125k on truck, roaters and brakes replaced 2 years ago, bought ones with lifetime warranty. ($1600)

Sometimes is faint sometimes it's loud, every now and again it won't do it for a minute or two.

The dealership thought it was balljoints and stabilizer bars so they replaced that and didn't help, then they block sanded all the rust off the rotars and pads and that didn't help.

They've had it for 2 days and it's even worse now, has anyone ever had this issue or might know what it is?

I'm so embarrassed driving it :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JT519

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To add to this the dealership lubed the shocks and bearings and they always say they can't hear it, but soon as I get in it I hear it and I let them drive with me and they then all the sudden hear it.

I'm noticing now it's worse and it stops completely when I press the brake even a little bit.
:happy3:

Can't find the blow my brains out smiley either...

Last edited:

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully when they sanded your pads and rotors, they did both sides. If not, that could make your ride pull towards the side that they worked on if you have to make a hard stop.

A few questions:
Is this a speed related noise? Louder or quieter the faster you go?
Is it engine speed related? Gets louder or quieter depending on engine speed?
Is it louder with the windows rolled up or rolled down?
can you hear it when going in a straight line, turning or both?
Can you recreate the noise if you are parked in the parking lot by jumping up and down on the back bumper? Is it louder inside or outside of the vehicle?
Looking in the wheel well around your wheels/tires, can you see any signs of anything rubbing?
Has someone tried riding in the back to see if they can hear where it is coming from?

Have your efforts been focused solely on the side that you think the noise is coming from?
Have you had any suspension work done? Poly bushings, new shocks or the like?
Have you pulled any trim pieces off inside the back for speakers or anything?
Can you hear the noise with the radio off? If you have subs, are they powered down?

Rattles and squeaks are annoying as hell, and can be incredibly difficult to locate. Sometimes the sound echoes off of something under the vehicle or even the ground and makes you think that it is coming from somewhere else. That you were able to recreate the noise for the dealership and that they heard it is a good step in the right direction.

OP
OP
J

JT519

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully when they sanded your pads and rotors, they did both sides. If not, that could make your ride pull towards the side that they worked on if you have to make a hard stop.

A few questions:
Is this a speed related noise? Louder or quieter the faster you go?
Is it engine speed related? Gets louder or quieter depending on engine speed?
Is it louder with the windows rolled up or rolled down?
can you hear it when going in a straight line, turning or both?
Can you recreate the noise if you are parked in the parking lot by jumping up and down on the back bumper? Is it louder inside or outside of the vehicle?
Looking in the wheel well around your wheels/tires, can you see any signs of anything rubbing?
Has someone tried riding in the back to see if they can hear where it is coming from?

Have your efforts been focused solely on the side that you think the noise is coming from?
Have you had any suspension work done? Poly bushings, new shocks or the like?
Have you pulled any trim pieces off inside the back for speakers or anything?
Can you hear the noise with the radio off? If you have subs, are they powered down?

Rattles and squeaks are annoying as hell, and can be incredibly difficult to locate. Sometimes the sound echoes off of something under the vehicle or even the ground and makes you think that it is coming from somewhere else. That you were able to recreate the noise for the dealership and that they heard it is a good step in the right direction.

Speed doesn't matter, the noise is the same if it's coasting or high speed, can't hear it at all with the windows rolled up.

Same noise when turning and going straight, just tried the jumping up and down on bumper and nothing no noise.

Can only hear outside, can't see anything rubbing, the dealership had 4 guys with the windows down listening, they say it's from the back drivers side.
No suspension work or anything else, factory Bose system, I can only hear it when the windows are down and the radio is low or off.
Thanks for the help.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good that they sanded both sides. I am assuming they checked that the pad had enough life left that you are not hearing the 'squealers' telling you it's time for pads.

Ok, so your squeak is outside the cabin, constant at any speed but goes away when you press the brake pedal and it cannot be reproduced by bouncing the vehicle while parked.

They looked at the pads and rotors. Did they pull the rotors and look at the parking/emergency brake?

This is an odd squeak that you have. Most driveline noises will change with speed. Bouncing the vehicle while parked, suggests that it is not a suspension noise. A wind noise such as a whistle, could be described as a squeak, but it will be speed based and unaffected by application of brakes.

Occasionally, there is an issue with the bose amp that you get feedback that changes with engine rpm. It could be called a whistle or squeak, but you would hear it with the windows up and radio turned off or down.

Most squeak type noises are traced back to the brakes, suspension, or interior trim panels.

Bad axle bearings make a roaring noise. Kind of like tires on a grooved concrete road except it sounds like that even on smooth asphalt.

A rock rubbing on your rotor also makes sense, but that should have been found when they sanded your pads. It would make sense that it got worse after they had it if they did not check the e-brake and the rock fell in a little further. A bent stone shield could give you a similar noise it it was rubbing on the rotor, but that would be obvious with a look at the rotor.

In this case, after giving the brakes a thorough check (including the e / parking brake), I would probably put it on a lift with someone in it. Have them start it and put it in gear and try to recreate the noise on the lift where I have a better chance of seeing/finding a cause.

OP
OP
J

JT519

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm taking ït back to the dealership on Monday, I'll mention what you said to them.

If I was to put an exact comparison to the noise it sounds like someone jingling loose change in there pocket.

I have 0 faith in gm which sucks, 2 full days they had it plus a half day the week before.

Cost me 1000$ already I might just sell it and get a 2016 but would rather not.

OP
OP
J

JT519

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It ended up being the back passenger side brake pad, just as I suspected but the dealership didn't want to listen to me so I ended up paying for a bunch of shit I didn't need.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out, but they should have found it when they "block sanded" your pads and rotors...:hmmm2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19