2011 Driver seat won't lift in the rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevshoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The rear part of the seat won't lift. The front works fine as do all other positions. It's stuck in the lowest position. I took the seat out and cannot turn screw for the life of me. The motor makes a noise like it's working but does not turn the screw. Picture is looking from the back to the seat. Any ideas?

FrontSeatBackView.jpg

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Define "cannot for the life of me turn the screw". Do you mean that you cannot turn it manually even if you tried?

Something like this happened on my 2013 Impala a month after I bought it. I had to take it back to the dealer. They said that it was "stripped" or something, but whatever they did fixed it.

OP
OP
K

kevshoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep, put some vice scripts on the very bottom and it will not budge.

Redneckognize

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This same thing happened to my 2011 Yukon about 2 years after I bought it. I didn't take the seat off though. I don't believe it's the motor. I read somewhere that it may have a round gear which went all the way to the end of a worm gear and the gear teeth and worm gear can't reconnect. I have no idea if this what happened. I went to the local dealer (parts & service) to possibly get a replacement part and the guy said "Sure! Here's the replacement part. It's $660, for the whole seat."

I tried to get him to let me peek at the computer screen and see what the exploded diagram looks like (and maybe get it from a crashed vehicle or online), but those two guys in there are NOT cool to talk to. (Only business I've ever been to where they DON'T want to sell you things, and I ain't talking about this seat part. I'm talking about other parts. I digress).

I you can, please post a pic or two of the motor, gear/screw. You are much closer to figuring it out than I am (because I haven't removed the seat.)

Driver3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue. The seat goes foward, back, reclines, etc. But the tilt is not working. I can hear the motor and it sounds like it's struggling rather than spinning a gear. I would love to fix this without ordering an entire seat mount for $500+

Scooty

Reaction score
One other thing to check is a local auto upholstery shop. Any shop that has been in business for a while knows the ins and outs of the mechanics of seats.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My passenger side has the same problem. It looks like it smashed the plastic washer at the end of the worm gear. I have been too lazy to pull the seat out and mess with it. But I do have some free time over the next few weeks to play with it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk

Latest posts